Grinch Prevention from the HWC
Taking care of yourself during the holidays
Feeling pressure this time of year?
You are supposed to buy presents, be cheerful, enjoy family gatherings, entertain, spend money, connect with friends...all good things, just too much in a short time! The holidays can be stressful, and typically during this time we deviate from engaging in our healthy behaviors that help to manage this stress. What can we do this holiday season to increase your happiness and decrease your "inner Grinch"...
Take care of you!
- Eat a healthy meal prior to an event to help you feel less tempted to eat unhealthy foods
- Keep healthy snacks readily available
- Stay consistent with exercise and sleep
- Drink lots of water
- Take a few minutes to breath deeply and stretch to alleviate symptoms of stress
- Don't feel obligated to be somewhere because that is what you always have done
- It is OK to say "NO" and not give an explanation
- Remember friends can be the family you choose
- Spend time with people you enjoy
- Prioritize your commitments
- Try not to get caught up in the commercialism of the holidays
- Figure out what you want the holidays to mean to you and your family
Create your own traditions that work for YOU!
- Going away during the holidays
- Spend time volunteering
- Creating quiet times for your family to celebrate
Live within your means
- Set a budget and stick with it
- Plan ahead
- Don't take on debt to achieve perfection
Its just another day!
There are 365 days in the year to make a day special! Don't put unnecessary pressure on yourself that it must be on this day and it must be perfect!