Help the Planet
Here are some of the facts:
- China emits more CO2 than the US and Canada put together - up by 171% since the year 2000
- The US has had declining CO2 for two years running, the last time the US had declining CO2 for 3 years running was in the 1980s
- The UK is down one place to tenth on the list, 8% on the year. The country is now behind Iran, South Korea, Japan and Germany
- India is now the world's third biggest emitter of CO2 - pushing Russia into fourth place
- The biggest decrease from 2008-2009 is Ukraine - down 28%. The biggest increase is the Cook Islands - up 66.7%
Human impact on the environment
Ways to Help the Planet
- Tell your friends & colleagues the importance of going green.
- Join the Go Green Ambassador program and make a difference to your community
- Contribute your Green Success story, so others can benefit from it.
By turning off your computer instead of leaving it in sleep mode, you can save 40 watt-hours per day. That adds up to 4 cents a day, or $14 per year. If you don't want to wait for your computer to start up, set it to turn on automatically a few minutes before you get to work, or boot up while you're pouring your morning cup 'o joe.
2. USE ONE LESS PAPER NAPKIN
During an average year, an American uses approximately 2,200 napkins—around six each day. If everyone in the U.S. used one less napkin a day, more than a billion pounds of napkins could be saved from landfills each year
3. GO VEGETARIAN ONCE A WEEK
One less meat-based meal a week helps the planet and your diet. For example: It requires 2,500 gallons of water to produce one pound of beef. You will also also save some trees. For each hamburger that originated from animals raised on rainforest land, approximately 55 square feet of forest have been destroyed.
4. PLANT A TREE
It's good for the air, the land, can shade your house and save on cooling (plant on the west side of your home), and they can also improve the value of your property.
- Reduce destruction of wildlife habitats & endangered species
- Reduce global warming
- Reduce ecological footprint
- Save large amounts of water
- Avoid further pollution of our streams/rivers/oceans
- Reduce destruction of topsoil & tropical rainforest
- Reduce use of antibiotics, growth hormones, and chemicals
By Nadiya Nesteruk