Otsego High School
Weekly Newsletter (Semester II, Q4, Week of May 9)
From the Desk of Mr. O'Shea
Wishing everyone a Happy Mothers day for all those celebrating.
This week we celebrated teacher appreciation day. Thanks to all our staff for the work they do.
Prom is this weekend. Look Nice! Have Fun! Be Safe and Responsible!
Congratulations to all our students taking Advanced Placement United States History and to Mr Ferdig our teacher. This morning they successfully completed the AP test and have worked exceptionally hard this year. I am proud of them all. I would also like to give a huge shoutout to our FFA chapter. Many of our students along with their teacher Mrs. Ayers have been down in Columbus for State convention. I will have more on this next week. Also, congrats to Mrs. Huber, Mrs. Kao for their efforts FCCLA this past weekend. Several of our student Finally, thank you Mr. Sewell, our Music Boosters and Chaperones for a successful trip to Chicago with roughly 150 of our students this past weekend. What an amazing opportunity for our students and I am so appreciative of all the work that goes into providing this opportunity to kids. I am especially grateful to our students for being such awesome ambassadors of our school and community.
We have a very busy campus this weekend. Please consider coming out and supporting our student athletes. Today we have The Tim Downey Memorial Invitational Track meet starting at 4:30pm, Varsity Baseball home against Genoa at 4:45pm, Varsity Softball home against Genoa at 5:15pm. Saturday Varsity Softball is in action against McComb at 10am.
Annual Awards night
Tuesday May 10th, 2016
Next tuesday is our Awards Night. I have attached a list of students that will be receiving a letter inviting them to the event. If your child is on this list please plan on attending the awards night on the 10th and be on the look out for your official invite.
April Students of the Month
FCCLA wins BIG for Otsego
Congrats Andrew Richardson and Joseph McQuillin
The following students received Gold Medal ratings at State FCCLA competition this past weekend:
Joseph McQuillin was elected Regional President
Andrew Richardson was elected State Vice President of Ohio FCCLA, 1st ever state officer in Otsego history! #micdrop
Senior Parent Letter of Important Dates coming up
To: Parents/Guardians of Otsego High School Seniors
From: Kevin O’Shea, Principal
Our seniors are looking forward to the closing weeks of school with great anticipation. This letter is to advise you of the activities and requirements for seniors during the closing days leading up to graduation.
- Saturday, May 7th - Prom at BGSU Grand Ballroom (ticket sales end April 25th).
- Monday, May 9th - Last day to submit scholarship info to Mrs. Clark in order to guarantee printing in graduation program.
- Tuesday, May 10th - Academic Awards Night (7:00pm in the Otsego HS Auditorium).
- Friday, May 13th - All outstanding fees are due on this date in order to participate in the Graduation Ceremony. Please make checks payable to: Otsego BOE.
- Tuesday, May 17th - Last regular day of school for OHS seniors.
***All outstanding school fees are due May 17th - Fees must be paid in full by this date in order to take part in the graduation ceremony.
- If you are taking correspondence courses (not PSEOP), your final transcripts are due this day.
- Senior Lunch (11:30am-1:00pm in HS Commons)
- Wednesday, May 18th ***Exams for OHS seniors. These dates may change weather permitting (fog).
- Thursday, May 19th ***Exams for OHS seniors.
- Friday, May 20th -Senior graduation practice (8:00 AM in OHS Commons)
Attendance is MANDATORY: All seniors who plan to participate - in the graduation ceremony MUST attend this practice.
- Seniors, please dress nicely for graduation practice.
- A breakfast will be provided for you by the cafeteria staff.
- Make-up day for exams for Seniors.
PENTA IMPORTANT DATES
- Thursday, May 12th - Penta Senior Exams.
- Friday, May 13th - Penta Senior Exams, Last day for Penta Seniors, All outstanding school fees are due.
- Tuesday, May 17th - Penta Senior Recognition Ceremonies for select programs.
- Wednesday, May 18th - Penta Senior Recognition Ceremonies for select programs.
- Thursday, May 19th - Penta Senior Recognition Ceremonies for select programs.
- Sunday, May 22nd - Graduation Ceremony (2:00 PM in the Otsego High School Gym)
- Seniors must be at OHS (meet in corridor “C”) by 1:15 PM.
- Boys should wear dress pants, dress shirt with a collar and tie, dress shoes and socks (no sandals or tennis shoes).
- Girls should wear a dress, skirt, or dark pants with dress shoes that are dark or neutral in color with a moderate heel (no flip-flops, floppy sandals, or tennis shoes).
- Seniors who do not participate in the graduation ceremony may pick up their diplomas in the OHS Office on or after May 24th.
- This is an exciting and memorable time for your senior. Otsego students have traditionally behaved like ladies and gentlemen at all school activities. We have come to expect this from all Otsego students, and it is the exception rather than the rule, when this does not happen.
- A word of caution about senior pranks - please talk with your son or daughter and help us keep the last few weeks safe and devoid of any controversies which might affect graduation activities. In order to avoid potential problems, we will again have campus security.
Please review the dates and activities with your senior so that everyone may cooperate to make the last days of school and graduation a pleasant occasion that will be remembered with pride.
Kevin O’Shea, Principal
All HS fees due by May 13th - Seniors ONLY
All High School fees are due by May 13th in order to walk in the Graduation Ceremony. This includes all Course Fees, Pay to Participate Fees, Music Booster Fees, Overdue Library books and fines, and outstanding lunch balances. Each Department will mail out invoices by April 11th.
Senior Parents – You can now pay for your outstanding school fees online at www.k12paymentcenter.com. Online Lunch Payment System For more information, go to www.K12PaymentCenter.com or call the Otsego Local School District at 419-823-4381 ext. 2100.
Please visit https://www.k12paymentcenter.com/HowDoesTheProgramWork.aspx to see a video on how to start managing your child’s account online today!
Contact the following people if you have questions about your balances:
Betsy Roberts-HS Course Fees firstname.lastname@example.org
Joyce Wright-Pay to Participate Fees email@example.com
Pam Heyman-HS Library fines/lost books firstname.lastname@example.org
Tara McHenry-HS Music Booster Treasurer email@example.com
Jeanne Jeffers-Cafeteria Supervisor firstname.lastname@example.org
7th - HS Prom
10th - Blood Drive
10th - High School Academic Awards Ceremony, 7pm High School Auditorium
11th - 2 Hour Delay - Staff Professional In-Service
12th - Scholar Varsity Athletes Mudhens Trip
13th - Reading Rewards
19th - HS Choir Concert, 7pm HS Auditorium
22nd - Graduation, 2pm
23rd - HS Band Concert, "Stars, Stripes, and Sousa" 7pm HS Auditorium
24th - Board of Education Meeting, 6pm HS Library
25th - Exam Day#1
26th - Exam Day #2
27th - Exam Day #3, Early Dismissal
27th - End of 4th Quarter
reminders from the High School office
- Daily Announcements Page
- Make sure you send in a written note within 48 hours of your child's absence. This is necessary in order for the absence to be excused. Even if you call your child in sick, a note is still needed.
- Please make sure you include both the first name and last name of student on the absent note.
- Sign up for Remind 101 to get text or email reminders of important events. Text to 81010 and in the message box, type otseg (there is no "o" at the end)
- Parents if you want to check on your child's homework, please access their "Google Classroom". All the teachers are posting their assignments there. You will need to know your child's username and password to get into their classroom. If you are having any issues getting into Google Classroom, let us know and we will work to fix it immediately.
- HOMEWORK CAFE - Please drop of any donated items into the HS office or send in items with your child. Call Betsy Roberts at 419-823-4381 in the HS office for any questions.
- Meningitis Vaccination New Requirements Info
Penta Career Center: If your student(s) are interested in attending PENTA Career Center, they may start applying now. If you have any questions regarding program opportunities or the application process, contact Jennifer Wronkovich-Clark at 419-823-4381 or via email at email@example.com.
News from Athletics
Spring Sports Schedule
***Due to Weather the Spring Sports Schedule changes daily. Please Call 419-823-4381 and choose option 7 on game day for the most updated information. This is updated everyday.
Current List Last updated: 5/6/2016
Pay-to-Participate fees are now due. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a question regarding your student’s balance.
Otsego Athletics is on Twitter and Facebook. Follow for high school scores and other athletic department information. Also, if you’d like to receive athletic news and updates by email please email email@example.com to be added to the list.
Class of 2018 Post Prom Committee
***Parents and Students, baseball/softball concession stand desperately needs help to cover the concessions for all upcoming games.
- There is also a GoFundMe page set up to make monetary donations for anyone to make. What a great way for relatives to donate! Otsego class of 2018 post prom GoFundMe
- "The Otsego High School's class of 2018 has begun the process of raising funds for the 2017 Post Prom. It may seem early, however, it is necessary to start early in order to raise the nearly $10,000 needed to organize a safe Post Prom for our students in May of 2017. The 2017 Post Prom will again be held at Kalahari Resort in Sandusky, Ohio. This event has proven to be a successful, safe environment for our teens on one of the most memorable nights they'll experience in high school.
- Too often, it's likely for teens to want to drink on this memorable night. Having a fun, alcohol-free environment, such as the 2017 Post Prom, eliminates the peer pressure to drink. This fully chaperoned evening provides kids hours of activities at Kalahari Resort Water Park. 100% of the money raised will be used for the Post Prom in 2017. This includes facility rental, transportation to and from Sandusky, and prizes.
- The Class of 2018 greatly appreciates any donation that will keep our students safe and prove that they do not need alcohol and drugs to have a fun, memorable evening. Thank you:)
17th - Choir Banquet
19th - Spring High School Choir Concert
22nd - Graduation 2pm
23rd - Band Sousa Concert
24th - Spring Junior High Band Concert
26th - Spring Junior High Choir Concert
High School & JH Buses (Bus Routes for grades 6-12 & Penta)
UPDATE: We have updated our phone system so that our main voice prompts will allow callers to press option 5 for the transportation department. Option 5 will ring extension 3156.
Food Service Department
NO MORE CHARGING
STARTING APRIL 5th there will be NO CHARGING of meals. If the student does not have enough money on their account to cover the meal at the elementary they will receive a cheese sandwich. At the jr. high/high school their lunch will be pulled. If a jr. high/high school student isn’t sure if they have enough money on their account they should ask the cashiers prior to going through the meal line.
Wood County Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drugs Newsletter (ATOD) - Click Here
All Star Driver Education
We will be having Driver Education courses on campus. Click the above link for more information.
Students and parents please click the above link if you are interested in working for FedEx.
Communication with the High School
1. High School Website www.otsegoknights.org has a new look! The new Otsego Local Schools site will more effectively highlight what is important to us and the community. The new website layout uses responsive design, meaning that it will adjust for tablets and mobile devices. We will keep the high school site updated with pictures, news articles, and other important information regarding the district and the building.
2. Remind 101 (Text to: 81010 Message: @otseg there is no "o" at the end just @otseg. Thats it. You will receive a message that says you've been added to our group. You will receive text messages straight to your mobile device). If you don't want to text, you can go to https://www.remind.com/join and just type in (otseg) as the class code.
3. Twitter (follow @otsegohsoffice or @KosheaOHS)
4. District App:
Classic Weekly Student Joke:
A: Because their Horns don't work, Duh!.
Have a great week.