October 7, 2022
Much to look forward to in October!
Dear LISD Families,
It has been a busy week for both elementary and secondary staff and students. The Lopez Elementary School Open House on Wednesday evening was a big success. Thanks to all the families who attended and to the staff for preparing a student-led event full of fellowship and important information.
Here are a couple dates to add to your calendars.
- October 14: Inservice Day, NO SCHOOL
- October 24-28: Fall Conferences
- October 27: Pumpkin Extravaganza
There are quite a few secondary specific dates listed down below. October is packed with fun stuff!
We hope you have a great weekend. The Lopez Island Farming Education (LIFE) program is part of the Lopez Farm Tour this weekend, and our chef, John Shaw, will be making pizzas tomorrow at Fruit City, another stop on the Farm Tour, and this a fundraiser for the LIFE program.
All our best to you and your family,
Mary and Martha
Lunch Menu Week Ending October 14, 2022
From our School Counselor, Jeanna Carter
LOPEZ HS Graduation Information Night with Pizza!
When: Thursday, November 3, 2022
Who: Lopez High School Parent/Guardians and High School Students,
What: Graduation Requirements; including the 3 Lopez High School Diplomas, Community Service and HS and Beyond Planning.
Where: To be determined.
RSVP: Jeanna Carter- jcarter @lopezislandschool.org or 360-468-2219 extension 2123.
Fridays from 3:30-4:30 in the school library. All are welcome and no experience is necessary. We will focus on beginners for the first few weeks. Bring a friend and come see what this amazing game is all about. Email with any questions: LopezIslandChess@gmail.com
SAVE THE DATE - LIPTSA Pumpkin Extravaganza
October 27, 4:00 - 6:30 pm
We are looking forward to another fantastic celebration with our students and families this year but we need your help! We need a crew of helpers for set-up and take down. The more folks we can get the quicker it will go. If you can help, please contact the LIPTSA VP of Fundraising and Volunteers: email@example.com. Thank you!!!
LIFE Garden Farm Tour
Lopez Library News
Terrific Tuesdays! After School at the Lopez Library
Join Miss Jane at the Lopez Library after school on Tuesday afternoons from 2:30pm – 3:30pm in the Children’s Corner to enjoy hands-on activities and stories with a monthly theme. LISD students can take the bus to the Library. Snack included! Recommended for 1st graders and older. Free!
October Theme: Day of the Dead
Each Tuesday afternoon, from October 11th – November 1st, Miss Jane and arts educator Kathleen Briley will share Day of the Dead stories and lead group craft activities, including:
- making miniature dioramas that honor our loved ones
- paper marigolds
- clay figurines
- skull painting
- cut paper flags (papel picado)
Each week, participants will slowly add their hand-made items to a group ofrenda altar that will be on display in the Library.
Register her for the October Terrific Tuesday program or call the Lopez Library at 360-468-2265
Lopez Preschool Bazaar
Pack Booster Club News
Pack Booster Club Poinsettia Sale
Please support our Pack Booster Club Poinsettia Sale. 100% of the proceeds go to our Lobos athletes. Here is the link to order. We will be selling online and in the community now until October 28th. We will announce a pick up time Mid to late November as soon as possible.
Here are more important dates to add to your calendar:
- Wednesday, October 12 - National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT) for 9th-11th grade students
- Thursday, October 13 - Pajama Day
- Tuesday, October 25 - Homecoming Week Pep Rally
- Friday, October 28 - Lobo Pride Day.....Wear your Lobo gear!
- Saturday, October 29 - High School Homecoming Dance
- Tuesday, November 1 - El Dia de Los Muertos Celebration in Advisory (10:10-10:55)
- Tuesday, November 8 - Veteran's Day Assembly in Advisory (10:10-10:55)
We have a lot of free books on tables by the gym, and we hope you'll come shopping. These are novels and other texts used by LISD teachers of the past, and we have been storing them. It's time to set these books free so they can be read by our LISD students and families. They'll be available until next Wednesday.
El Dia de Los Muertos
Our Decatur students were invited to Waldron Island for apple picking and pressing. Everybody had a great time connecting with students from another one room school house.
Secondary Student Art Contest
Housing Lopez Logo Design Contest
Housing Lopez is a local nonprofit organization building affordable rental housing. We know that many people have difficulty finding long term housing that they can afford and that many businesses can’t find staff due to a lack of housing opportunities. Our mission is to build homes that are affordable to people at different income levels. We’re about to start the development of 15 more affordable units in the Village and would love to have a brand new logo to add some pizzazz and professionalism to our website, project signs, letterhead, and other communications materials.
Housing Lopez just completed its first six homes in the Village, known as FishBay Cottages, next to the skate park. We are an all-volunteer board trying to make it easier for working folks to find a stable place to live on Lopez. Your help designing a new logo for us means a lot!
1. The logo must be in color and the winning designer will provide a black/white version as
2. It must reproduce well at different sizes and come in a JPG @300 DPI
3. The Board of Housing Lopez will judge the submissions and select the winning logo.
4. The winner will receive a $250 cash prize.
Submissions are due by the end of the school day on October 31.
Order Your Lopez School Gear Now!
Remember to order your gear before the end of the month!
Here's your chance to add some logo gear to your wardrobe and wear our school colors!
We have 2 online stores to shop from this fall. Not to overwhelm you with too many choices, but to support our local merch vendors....and, well, actually, yes, to give you plenty of choices.
Both stores have a wide selection of styles and colors for everyone (including Decatur). Here are a couple of notes on ordering:
Lopez's own WadeCo's offerings come in MANY, many options. Be sure to click on the image or this link https://www.wadecolopez.com/shop/Go-Lobos/8 to see options including garment color, logo color, and size (and glitter logos!). If you'd like to see some of their shirts in person, stop by the shop in the village (next to Paper Scissors on the Rock). Orders placed are processed individually- right away- and you can choose in store pickup or delivery...think Holiday gifts for your family.
To access the WadeCo LISD Merch Page go here:
You can also find it by going to the premium apparel section from their webpage. www.wadecolopez.com
T-Shirts By Design, in Anacortes, also has a great section of logo gear including Decatur Island School items*. The LISD store will only be open for a limited time through mid-October. Orders placed through T-Shirts By Design will be compiled and picked up for one delivery to the school at the end of the sale. Access their store here:
T-Shirts by Design | Embroidery | Screen Printing
908 31st Street, Anacortes, WA 98221
360.293.8898 | Monday-Friday 10am-5pm
The Decatur Logo can be added to any items in the T-Shirts by Design shop. Please send those orders to me separately with item, size, color and quantity. I will tally them and place that order directly with the sales agent.
If you have any questions, please let me know.
LIFE Garden Coordinator
Lopez Island School District
(360) 468-2202 x2300
Our Lobos hit it hard this week with home games for high school volleyball home game and middle school soccer, and away games for both middle school soccer and volleyball. Tomorrow, high school soccer and volleyball teams play Orcas Island.
Next week, you can watch the Lobos play at home on.....
Monday, October 10 - Middle School Soccer, 2:00
Thursday, October 13 - High School Soccer, 2:00 AND Middle School Volleyball, 2:00
Open Positions at Lopez Island School
You can see full postings on our website! Just go to District Info and then to HR and Employment for more details.
- - ParaEducators and ParaEducator Substitutes - Interested in working with students individually, in small groups, and/or in general classrooms and helping assist teachers in modifying student behavior? You can apply to become a ParaEducator with a regular schedule or else a ParaEducator sub for flexibility!
- Cook/ Dishwasher three days a week and Substitutes- Help make and share all the FRESH, HEALTHY, and DELICIOUS local foods with the children and staff of Lopez Island School! We are looking for some help in the fast-paced, fun and friendly kitchen at Lopez Island School.
- Bus Driver Substitutes - Lopez Island School District is accepting applications for qualified school bus drivers substitutes with potential for upcoming permanent positions. Candidates must be appropriately endorsed for CDL and Washington State School Bus driving, or be willing to complete a training class administered by Lopez Island School District (likely late October/ early November 2022).
- Special Needs Behavior Technician- If you have been thinking about being a Special Needs Behavior Technician for Lopez Island School District...well you are in luck!!!! We are looking for a Special Needs Behavior Technician to hire for this school year!! Behavior technicians are responsible for assisting behavior specialists and the Special Education department to implement behavior reduction and skill acquisition treatment plans. The candidate will assist students with day to day activities, monitor their behavior, record and collect data on students’ progress, and communicate with the team.
- Special Services Administrative Assistant- to provide assistance to the Special Services Coordinator and the District’s Special Services programs. There will be a high degree of confidentiality and attention to detail required, as this person works with parents, students, and others to serve students with special needs and those struggling with school. There will be some flexibility of schedule desired, but the position is based upon 15 hours per week throughout the calendar year.
- Van Driver - Want to get out and see the island? This transportation position drives a wheelchair van (or another vehicle) to transport student(s) with special needs to and from school. This 3.5 hour per day, Monday through Friday. This position qualifies for paid time off, retirement, and insurance benefits!
- 1.0 FTE Special Education Teacher - We are looking for a full-time Special Education teacher to help serve our students starting this school year. This is a 7.5 hours per day, Monday through Friday position qualifying for paid time off, retirement, and insurance benefits!
- .2 FTE Culinary Teacher - This is a .2 FTE secondary teaching position to work with middle and high school students as a Culinary teacher starting as soon as possible and/or January 2023. The instructor would be responsible for up to one full school year Culinary class.
- Grounds/Gardener - This position is for a Grounds person/Gardener averaging 4 hours per day, Monday – Friday. The L.I.F.E. program involves the growing and harvesting of produce and other foods in school gardens, often with the help of students, interns and volunteers, to be used in the production of school lunches.
Elementary RTI - provide intervention support for the purpose of improving academic and/or behavior achievement in different elementary settings.
Secondary RTI provide intervention support for the purpose of improving academic and/or behavior achievement in different secondary settings.
HI CAP - providing leadership of the Special Service Program for Highly Capable (HC) students, grades K-12, in the Lopez Island School District.
Robotics - advising students grades 3-12 in an after school or weekend club. Topics and scope will be arranged with the secondary principal and will tie in to the curriculum and focus of the school.
Lopez Island School District
Ed Murray, Superintendent
Martha Martin, Secondary Principal
Mary Fordham, Elementary Principal
The Lopez Island School District does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following employee(s) has been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination: Civil Rights Compliance Coordinator, Ed Murray – firstname.lastname@example.org; Title IX Coordinator, HR Specialist, Summer Hagge – email@example.com; Section 504, Mary Fordham – firstname.lastname@example.org; OR contact by phone, 360-468-2202, OR mail to 86 School Rd, Lopez Island, WA 98261.