February 14, 2022
BTPS Women in Leadership Live Event 2022
with special guest speaker: Dr. Alice Wainwright-Stewart, President and CEO of Lakeland College.
Please join us to mentor, inspire, celebrate, support and increase representation of female leaders.
Zoom link will be sent out shortly!
#BTPSTOGETHER #IWD2022 #INSPIRATIONALWOMEN
BTPS Presents - Women in Leadership - with Dr. Alice Wainwright-Stewart, president and CEO of Lakeland College
10th Annual Superintendent's Public Speaking Competition
We are excited to share the information about the 10th Annual Superintendent's Speaking Contest!
Elementary Division (open to students currently enrolled in Grades 4, 5 or 6)
Junior High Division (open to students currently enrolled in Grades 7, 8 or 9)
Senior High Division (open to students currently enrolled in Grades 10, 11 or 12)
Contest is open to students who are currently enrolled in a BTPS school.
- Schools can nominate a maximum of 1 (one) candidate in each of the competition categories (A school level competition may be held to identify the candidates to be nominated).
- 1st and 2nd place will be recognized in each of the three categories. Each Gold Medal recipient will have their name engraved on the Superintendent’s Annual Public Speaking Award and this award will be placed on display in the Superintendent’s Office. Gold and Silver Medal recipients will be provided with the corresponding medal and the following monetary prize:
- Elementary Division: Gold Medal – $100.00 Silver Medal - $50.00
- Junior High Division: Gold Medal – $200.00 Silver Medal - $75.00
- Senior High Division: Gold Medal – $300.00 Silver Medal - $100.00
The full instructions sheet and the submission form were sent out to your school's principal last week. Submissions are due by 4:30pm on April 18, 2022.
Thank you for supporting public speaking!
Pink Shirt Day 2022
This year’s theme, #BeKindAB, encourages Albertans to be inclusive, welcoming and supportive with colleagues, clients, friends and family. Building healthy relationships is one of the best ways to prevent bullying and create safe environments. Getting involved is easy. Wear your pink shirt, take a photo and share it on social media with the #PinkShirtDay and #BeKindAB hashtags.
Bullying Helpline: 1-888-456-2323
Bullying Helpline Chat: alberta.ca/BullyingChat
On Wednesday Feb 23, wear a pink shirt to raise awareness about bullying prevention!
Black on the Prairies
The Bear and the Wild Rose
- Tuesday, March 1
- Tuesday, March 8
- Wednesday, March 16
- Thursday, March 24
The purpose of this engagement is to:
- share with stakeholders the highlights of the Year Two Report.
- check in on direction around strengths and challenges moving forward.
- identify a priority domain to direct planning for 2022/2023.
We hope to see you online and share the exciting work of BTPS's staff and students!
News from The OHS Department
January 20-21, The Percy Lake Colony school students and some of their parents took a first aid course. The colony then decided to purchase their own AED. On February 4th, we placed the AED in their main dining hall. They picked the new Zoll A3 fully automatic AED. Here is the photo of the colony and their new AED. The colony has 11 Standard First aiders and 5 first aid helpers. Over the next couple of years, they are planning to having everyone in their colony trained in first aid! Congratulations to all who took the course.
I have also been adding videos to our BTPS website. These videos can be used during staff meetings, classroom presentations etc. They include school safety videos for Elementary school aged students, a video on school lockdowns, texting and driving videos and how to use the various AED’s we have throughout our division. Please go to https://www.btps.ca/departments/occupational-health-safety to check them out.
Applications are open for the 2022 competition!
Students will learn from experts in the environmental field about a range of topics, including:
• soils and land use
• aquatic ecology
• and more!
For more information and to register, please send us a message or visit our website:
Team Canada Champion Chats
Please join Team Canada Champion Chats…
and Team Canada Olympians and Paralympians for a LIVE CHAT event on February 23, 2022.
Students from across the country will connect directly to some of Canada’s most inspiring athletes to be empowered to pursue their personal level of excellence and embrace what it means to be a champion.
When joining Team Canada Champion Chats, teachers will receive accompanying:
- 60-second inspirational messages and lessons from world-class Team Canada athletes.
- Discussion questions to start important conversations in the classroom.
- Reflection templates for students to further their understanding of the topics.
- Plus additional resources to get teachers and students into the spirit of the Games.
The Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games are a special teachable moment that occurs only once every four years and we don’t want you to miss out on this incredible opportunity.
Sign up for FREE at championchats.olympic.ca