Happy Birthday Sylver!!
Some Facts About Your Day & The Year You Were Born
Back In The Day On May 15th
So back in the day on the 15th of May some very important and some completely irrelevant and stupid events occurred. I'm just gonna list them both because that's just what I feel like doing.
So, back in the day on May 15...let's take a gander, shall we...
- Prince released his single “Raspberry Beret”
- Nylon stockings went on sale for the first time in the U.S.
- The AWESOME John Lennon had two short films shown at the Cannes Film Festival in France.
- Elvis Presley inhaled a cap on one of his teeth.
- Scott Weiland was arrested for trying to buy drugs in a motel parking lot.
- Sonny and Cher received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
- Joe DiMaggio began his historic major league baseball hitting streak of 56 games
- Eminem released his 5th
- Saddam Hussein was formally charged with crimes against humanity.
- California’s Supreme Court Ruled in favor of same-sex marriages.
- Beatles’ last LP, “Let It Be”, is released in the U.S.
- Paul McCartney and John Lennon appear together on the Johnny Carson Show to promote Apple Records. (McCartney also meets his GORGEOUS future-wife, Linda.
- We have our very 1st
successful helicopter flight her in the U.S.
- Mickey Mouse made his 1st appearance
- Las Vegas, Nevada was founded
Famous People Born on May 15th:
- Paul Rudd
- Ray Lewis
- The chick that played the “sexy” maid in the 1st season of American Horror Story
- Emmitt Smith
- Cage The Elephant guitarist, Brad Shultz
- Chazz Palminteri (such an awesome name)
- L. Frank Baum, author of “The Wizard of Oz”
- Jamie Lynn Sigler, the ALWAYS ANNOYING Meadow from The Sopranos
- John Smoltz (Hey ATL!!!)
Some more famous people that were also born in 1975:
- Angelina Jolie
- Kate Winslett
- Jason Sudeikis
- Milla Jovovich
- Drew Barrymore
- Dax Shepard
- Danica McKellar
- David Beckham
- Bradley Cooper
- Eva Longoria
- Sara Gilbert
- Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson
- Chelsea Handler
- the little scary girl from the Poltergeist movies
- Russell Brand
- Freddy Rodriguez
- Enrique Iglesias
- Lauryn Hill
- CeeLo Green
- P!nks Hubby (Carey Hart)
- FX’s “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia’s” Sweet Dee” & Rickety Cricket
Some other pretty interesting events that occurred in the year you were born, 1975:
- The War in Vietnam came to an end in April, 1975.
- One of the very first blockbuster films, Jaws, is released.
- Sony introduces Betamax videotapes / JVC introduces VHS
- Bill Gates and Paul Allen develop a BASIC program for the Altair 8800 followed by the release of the Microcomputer Altair 8800. Consequentially the name “Micro-soft” becomes a registered trademark
- Motorolla obtains its patent for the first mobile phone.
- Construction on the Trans-Alaska Pipeline System begins.
- NASA launches the Viking 1 planetary probe toward Mars.
- BIC launches the first disposable razor.
Life In The Year 1975...
On this special day, May 15th back in 1975 the U.S. president was Gerald Ford. Folks were listening to “He Don’t Love You (Like I Love You)” by Tony Orlando and Dawn, as well as “Stand By Your Man” by Tammy Wynette. Life was a bit different than it is today. After-all just last year Google announced the first self-driving cars were hitting the road summer of 2015. But back in 1975…well, just check out the following.
- Games/Toys/and Children’s FAVS: Monopoly, Scrabble and the Pong TV Game, Children’s Phonograph/Record Player, Evel Knievel Dragster, Mr. Potato Head, Magic 8-Ball, Rubik’s Cubes, Mood Rings, Pet Rocks, and PEZ candy.
- Fashion: Hip-Huggers, bellbottoms, leisure suits
- Culture: Bruce Springsteen’s third album, “Born To Run”, Saturday Night Live debuts on NBC (George Carlin hosts the first show), and Muhammad Ali beats Joe Fraser in the “Thriller In Manilla” match.
- Film: Jaws, Benji, The Godfather Part II, The Return of the Pink Panther, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.
- Sports: World Series Cincinnati Reds 4, Boston Red Sox, 3 (sorry, it was still pretty close!!), Super Bowl Pittsburgh Steelers 16, Minnesota Vikings 6
- Musicians and Songs: Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Chicago, Bob Dylan, David Bowie with “Fame”, Alice Cooper, The Eagles, Jefferson Starship, Kiss, Led Zeppelin, John Lennon, Bob Marley and the Wailers, Pink Floyd, Paul Simmon, Queen, Bruce Springsteen, The Who, and ZZ top.
- The Song of the Year: Captain and Tennille, “Love Will Keep Us Together”.
- Album of the Year: Paul Simon, “Still Crazy After All These Years”
Cost of Living in the United States in 1975...
- New House: $48,000
- Median Income: $12,686
- New Car: $3,800
- Minimum Wage: $2.10/hour
- Public College: $3,776
- Movie Ticket: $2.03
- Gasoline: $0.59/gallon
- Postage Stamp: $0.13
- Sugar $0.65/pound
- Milk: $1.65/gallon
- Coffee: $1.12/pound
- Eggs: $0.84/dozen
- Bread $0.28/pound
But, on Thursday, May 15th, 1975...
...under the sign of Taurus a pretty AWESOME lady became a Momma to a pretty RAD little dude she named Sylver. Thank you Aunt Carolyn for creating such an amazing life!!!
And HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to A VERY COOL DUDE, my cousin, Sylver Chavez!!! Enjoy your day man!!!