One Body in Christ - January 23, 2023
Registration for current families and new siblings for the 2023-2024 school year opens today. Re-enrollment must be completed for every child who is currently enrolled. Please complete enrollment at https://www.saintsusannaschool.com/enroll at your earliest convenience, even if a child is not returning. There is a spot reserved next year for every currently enrolled child who enrolls by February 7, 2023. After this date, we will begin sending acceptances to new families who have applied based on available space. These numbers help us determine appropriate staffing levels for the upcoming school year and if we will need to open an additional class within a grade.
The updated tuition schedule for the 2023-2024 school year is attached to the bottom of this newsletter. The overall structure for tuition remains the same with a single tuition rate per child and a multi-child discount for multiple children in K-8. The per-child tuition increased by 3 percent and the multi-child discount is $750 per child for multiple children in K-8. Additional discounts remain for younger siblings who are in preschool or prekindergarten. Over the last few years, we have absorbed increased expenses for almost everything, especially textbooks, and we increased each teacher and staff member's compensation by at least 4 percent. This increase in tuition will continue to support these efforts.
We are proud to offer multiple avenues for financial aid for all families, as we never want to price anyone out of Catholic education.
- We will continue as a Choice Scholarship school. Choice Scholarships fund between 75 and 100 percent of tuition for eligible students. Income guidelines for the 22-23 school year are available as an attachment at the end of this newsletter. Updated income guidelines will be available in February. Families who would like to be screened for a Choice Scholarship must submit the first page of their 2022 federal tax return showing their household members and their adjusted gross income to Mrs. Abdoulaye. We highly recommend submitting these in person rather than by email. We are happy to make copies for you.
- We are able to offer additional financial aid to those students who meet the Choice income requirements through our SGO Tax Credit Scholarship. This additional scholarship is available to offset costs not covered by the Choice Scholarship or for Kindergartners who do not qualify for Choice Scholarships yet. To apply for additional SGO funding, please use the grant and aid application within your FACTS account.
- We are able to offer a new scholarship for students who do not qualify for Choice or SGO Scholarships. The Saint Susanna Parish Scholarship is not income based and offers a maximum of $300 per student in financial aid for those who apply while funds are available. The application can be completed anytime at this link.
As always, I am available to answer questions or confidentially discuss any family's financial situation. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me.
We are watching a potential winter storm for Wednesday. Right now, between 2 and 8 inches of snow is predicted. The teachers are preparing for a possible remote learning day on Wednesday where students would be able to complete work at home (offline) and it would count as a school day. We will not decide on a snow day until we have more information on this potential storm. In the event of a school delay or cancelation, you will be notified by phone, text, and email.
Sparty Party will be on Saturday, January 28th. Sparty Party is a great evening of trivia, food, and fun! Form a team of eight and register asap! The teams can decorate their tables for fun, bring in whatever food and drink they want for the night, and compete against other teams for the trivia crown! See the graphic below for more information about this fantastic event.
Catholic Schools Week will start on Sunday, January 29th. We have a great week planned full of activities and special dress days to celebrate the fact that Catholic Schools Are Super! Click here for full schedule.
Lunch tomorrow (Tuesday, January 24th) will feature bananas instead of orange slices. We are expecting delivery of a new milk cooler this week. Our current one has some damage and is causing a small portion of our milk to sour ahead of its expiration dates. The new milk cooler will solve this problem.
God bless, Janet Abdoulaye
The Week Ahead...
Wednesday, January 25th
- POSSIBLE Remote Learning Day due to winter storm
- 2:50 PM Release - EDM until 6:00 PM
- One Body in Christ shirts
Thursday, January 26th
- School Mass at 8:45 AM; Mass hosted by 7 M/B
Friday, January 27th
- Spiritwear for students and staff
Future Events such as the mass schedule can be found here: https://saintsusannaschool.com/events?page=1
Kindergarten completed a Mystery Science lesson on force. They pushed down walls using wrecking balls. This was a great activity for everyone!
Sparty Party Trivia Night
Sparty Party is next weekend!!
There is still time to sign up at https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f044aa9ab2ca0ff2-sparty
Don’t have a table of eight? That’s ok! Individual tickets are $20 a person
Join us for a fun night of trivia!!
Vaccination Schedule for Children and Teens
The Hendricks County Health Department asked that we share this schedule with our community. One result of COVID is that some of the children in the area are behind on vaccinations. Please keep this schedule in mind as you make your pediatric appointments over the next few months.
ST. SUSANNA INTRAMURAL BASKETBALL
INFORMATION SHEET 2023
WHO: SCHOOL AND PARISH BOYS & GIRLS 1ST THRU 4TH GRADES
SEASON: PRACTICES WILL BEGIN LAST WEEK OF FEBRUARY. THIS WILL BE BASED ON GYM AVAILABILITY. GAMES WILL BE PLAYED MONDAYS THRU THURSDAYS AND SATURDAYS. THE SEASON WILL CONCLUDE THE THURSDAY BEFORE SPRING BREAK.
COST: $30/PLAYER INCLUDES TEAM T-SHIRT
REGISTER: ONLINE SIGN-UP CAN BEGIN IMMEDIATELY. REGISTRATION ENDS ON FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 10!!! SIGN UP AT: https://saintsusannaschool.com/cyo
- Click on the button for St. Susanna Online Sports Registration Form
- For sport, click on IM BASKETBALL ONLINE REGISTRATION ONLY!!
EVALULATIONS: 1ST & 2ND GRADERS - 6:00 PM AT ZORE HALL, MONDAY, FEBRUARY 13
3RD & 4TH GRADERS – 7:30 PM AT ZORE HALL, MONDAY, FEBRUARY 13
- EVALUATIONS ARE MANDATORY. $30 PAYMENT CAN BE MADE ONLINE OR BEFORE EVALS. NO EVALS TILL PAYMENT RECEIVED. MANDATORY EVALUATIONS ARE USED TO HELP PICK TEAMS EVENLY!!
COACHES: THIS IS A GREAT WAY TO GET THOSE SERVICE HOURS. INTRAMURALS IS ABOUT HAVING TONS OF FUN WITH FRIENDS AND CLASSMATES ALL THE WHILE LEARNING THE FUNDAMENTALS OF BASKETBALL. VOLUNTEER COACHES ARE WHAT MAKE THIS LEAGUE SO SPECIAL, NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY! THE MORE COACHES WE HAVE THE MORE TEAMS WE HAVE TO MAXIMIZE THE KIDS PLAYING TIME. DURING ONLINE REGISTRATION YOU’LL SEE A BOX YOU CAN CLICK TO SIGN UP AS COACH.
QUESTIONS: EMAIL CYO AT: firstname.lastname@example.org
Intramural League Sponsorship Opportunities:
First and foremost the Intramural basketball league is about the kids. Teaching the basic fundamentals and concepts of the game of basketball. Secondly, it is a great opportunity for community involvement. The Intramural league serves as a primary fundraiser for St. Susanna’s CYO sports program. Proceeds from this league help supply the CYO sports teams with uniforms, league entry fees and other related needs. If you or your company are interested in being part of this program please reach out to the CYO Board via email. Intramural sponsorships start as low as $125 to get your company name on the back of all the players and coaches team t-shirts.
Thank you for your generous consideration.
Meet Mrs. Turnquest, Counselor
I am happy to announce that Saint Susanna has a school counselor available for our students on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Mrs. Mariah Turnquest comes to us from Catholic Charities. She is a master's level Licensed Social Worker. She will work with students on an individual basis, as needed. She will also teach whole class social-emotional lessons on topics such as being a good friend, bullying, and other age-appropriate topics. Mrs. Turnquest's presence in our school is made possible by utilizing a portion of our EANS grant from the federal government over the next two school years.
Students may be referred to Mrs. Turnquest by teachers or the principal for a one-time visit. After that, parents must complete a consent form for continued visits. The consent form is available at the end of the Monday Memo or in the school office. You can reach Mrs. Turnquest directly at email@example.com
Dress Code Reminders
A few gentle reminders about our dress code:
- Shorts are not allowed after fall break. Students may wear these again after Spring Break. Girls should wear plain black, white, or navy leggings under their uniform skirts.
- Uniform shirts are red monogrammed, light blue and white polos. Dark blue polo shirts (excluding the monogrammed middle school shirts) are not part of our dress code.
- As the weather turns colder, students may want to wear an additional layer. Acceptable additions to a uniform polo include:
- A navy or red cardigan or pullover sweater. These cannot have any designs or other colors.
- A navy or red pullover crew-neck sweatshirt. These may be plain or monogrammed through Avon Sports Apparel.
- A plain white short or long-sleeved undershirt.
- All students in K-8 must wear a belt with uniform pants. Uniform pants must have belt loops.
I have included our uniform policy summary at the bottom of this newsletter.
Safe Environment Training
The Archdiocese recently changed their safe environment training provider to Safe Parish, from the previous Safe and Sacred system. In the new system, all volunteers are monitored quarterly. As long as you have a previous background check, your background check will be monitored on an on-going basis and it will not expire after five years as it did in the previous system. All volunteers must be registered in the Safe Parish system before they can volunteer. Instructions for registering and training are in the newsletter each week (see below).
In order to volunteer in our school building during the day or attend field trips as a chaperone, you must have a current safe environment training on file with us. This requirement includes safe environment training and a basic background check through the Archdiocese. The training and background checks are good for five years from the time of completion.
To check your current expiration date, contact Mrs. Carson at firstname.lastname@example.org
To obtain a new training and background check:
- Go to the website www.archindysafeparish.org
- Create an account as this is a new system. Previously the Archdiocese used a system called "Safe and Sacred."
- You will need a passcode in order to create an account. The passcode is Archindy2021
- Complete the background check for school or parish VOLUNTEER and select Saint Susanna as a recipient of your information.
- Complete the training video and questions.
Please allow up to two weeks for this process to be completed.
The service hour tracking form can be found here and a copy will be sent home in the back-to-school packets. We ask that each family complete five service hours this school year. These hours can be completed during school or parish events.
Easy Fund-Raising for Saint Susanna Catholic School!
Box Tops for Education
Here’s how it works:
- Step 1: Download the new Box Tops App (iTunes or Google Play) – it’s free
- Step 2: Create a username and connect it to your child’s school
- Step 3: Scan your grocery store receipt. Items with the new Box Tops label will be automatically credited to your school
Does this mean I should stop sending in my paper Box Tops that I have already clipped? No! Continue to send those to the school!
Kroger Community Rewards
Information on the Kroger Community Rewards program can be found here on their website or under the "rewards" tab in your Kroger app. You will need to search for the exact name of our organization as SAINT SUSANNAS SCHOOL PTP . From there, you can link your Kroger card with our organization and a portion of your spending at Kroger will come to us.
St. Susanna Catholic School's mission is to provide a Christ-centered, quality education that prepares and inspires its students to excel as they progress in their scholastic careers. Based on Catholic teachings, our students and staff exemplify the value of faith, service, love, and respect in all situations and with all people.
Location: 1212 East Main Street, Plainfield, IN, USA