News for Second-Grade Parents & Guardians
~updated Thursday, October 13, 2016~
Important Dates to Remember:
- ASAP: Sign your student up to collect donations for the Fun Run at <funrun.com>! (See below for details)
- Friday, October 14th: Fun Run, Memorial Stadium, 2nd Grade 9:15 A.M.
- Friday, October 14th: Please don't forget to register to vote at your current address!! The voter registration deadline is this Friday! Pick up your registration form at any public library or the County Board of Elections at 77 McDowell Street, Asheville 28801. You may also register to vote during Early Voting (dates below). Voting provides a great opportunity to show your support for public schools!
- Thursday, October 20th-Saturday November 5th: Early Voting will be available at 20 sites around Buncombe County. You may vote at any one of these sites that is most convenient for you! Both the Pack Library and North Asheville Library are convenient sites for Early Voting. You may also register to vote or change your voter registration during Early Voting on the same day that you vote. Only if you make changes to your voter registration at Early Voting will you need a photo ID or a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document. Otherwise, photo ID will not be required for this election.
- Friday, October 21st: Early Release Day (Pick up at 12:00 P.M.!)
- Friday, October 28th: Fall Carnival from 5-8:00 P.M.
**Volunteer Opportunity** (See below for details.)
- Monday, October 31st: Early Release Day (Pick up at 12:00 P.M.!)
It's not too late to log in for the Fun Run!
Thank you so much for participating in the Claxton Fun Run this year! We are raising funds for scholarships, cultural events, community assistance for low income students and playground remodel. Our goal is to raise $18,000 and we are 71% of the way there!
If every family pledges $2 Pledge Per Lap total from here to the fun run we will reach our goal! Would you consider reaching out to a few more sponsors?
This year we started learning how to “make a difference” through the Fun Run’s character theme, Backyard Box Office. We’re learning from REAL kids who are dedicated to making people’s lives better. From inventors, to world-class speakers, to business owners, to world-record holders, these five kid difference-makers are inspiring our students to practice five “Character Acts” so they can also make an impact in our community.
We also have a challenge of getting pledges from all 50 states! We are currently missing pledges from the following states: Arkansas, Delaware, Idaho, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
You can still log on and register your student on funrun.com with the code: 687393. When your student is registered they will receive a free log on wristband the very next day! We have 50% of students logged on, let’s see the number rise to 75%!
Thank you for everything you do for Claxton, and we look forward to celebrating with students on the fun run speedway on Friday!
- The Fun Run this Friday: To volunteer, please click on this link to sign up for one of the slots on October 14th: <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_YYrVqrv0j-aTKGeUYjldME-4-ZH6lI9Ev3Yigfaji8/edit?ts=57db3b10#gid=0>.
- At Claxton's Fall Carnival on Friday, October 28th, second-grade families are responsible for the bean-bag toss and a tattoo booth. There are two ways that you can help out:
- Please send in any of the following items to school with your child ASAP: fall-themed temporary tattoos, new sponges for applying tattoos, and/or large boxes to make the corn-hole boards (approximately 24" x 24" x 36" or larger).
- Please sign up to volunteer. We have four different time slots and two activities from which to choose: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Au1MC3JtfcNxW-RPCqDuhwqubaAGmEsfeYGvIbYylms/edit?usp=sharing
- fall-themed temporary tattoos (Here's an example: <http://www.orientaltrading.com/fall-tattoos-a2-13708356.fltr?Ntt=temporary%20fall%20tattoos>.
- new sponges for applying tattoos
- large boxes to make the corn-hole boards (approximately 24" x 24" x 36" or larger).
2. For Ms. Henderson, we are collecting shoeboxes through the end of the month.
Please send any of these items with your student to class. We will make sure that they find their appropriate homes. Thank you!