BAMS Staff Newsletter
January 12th, 2014 - Volume 1, Issue 14
I can't believe we are almost halfway through our school year. That's crazy!
As a teacher, I always felt the January to April period was a critical one for myself and my students. I know we will continue to work hard, go above and beyond, and put in many extra hours during these months. Please look for opportunities to take time for yourself, too.
I'm looking forward to another great week at BAMS.
Bessie Allen Middle School - SLO
By the end of the 2013-2014 school year, 100% of an identified population of struggling readers in 6th-8th grade will increase their Reading RIT score on the May MAP assessment.
Out of the Office
- January 14th - 9:30-11am - Admin Team Meeting - DMR
- January 31st - Out All Day - Traveling Out of Town
News and Notes
- Please have your team's names for the BAMS Medal of Excellence to Jennifer by January 21st.
- Thank you for your flexibility with our schedule this month for MAP testing and ACCESS testing. These tests are vital to our balanced assessment system. I have already head about some FANTASTIC MAP results from some of our students. Increases of 12-15 points in Reading, nice!
- As we start to analyze mid year MAP test results, if you begin to have concerns about students' academic progress, remember to fill out the new RtI forms located on our district website. Please let me know when you begin this paperwork.
- Please be careful during these winter months when entering the building. On really cold days salt does not always work as effectively as on other days. If you see any safety concerns please bring those to my attention.
- Last week, I was able to observe a Individual Planning Conference lead by our counseling department. It was very informative to observe what is discussed at these meetings. Talk with Kim or Jenny if you would like to observe a conference or would like more information about these meetings.
- Rebecca Zima, our new 7th grade math teacher, will be coming to visit for the day on January 21st. She is planning to arrive around 7:15 and stay for the entire day to introduce herself to her students and our staff. Rebecca's first official day will be January 27th. Jo Heinkel will continue to sub in 7th grade until the 27th.
- I continue to hear good things from Adam Micke about fatherhood and his new son, Garenn. Adam will be taking off the next several Mondays as part of his paternity leave. We are hoping to have a consistent sub in his room on those days.
- Todd Whittaker and his wife our expecting their 3 child in May. He will also be taking some time off once the baby is born.
- At our January 28th staff meeting we will review our process for dealing with student behaviors.
- The IMTC Team had some great discussions on digital citizenship that will compliment our Oriole Way framework nicely. More information about this will be coming soon.
- How many BAMS Bucks have you handed out this month?
- Next Meeting - January 15th at 7am
OASYS and Teacher Effectiveness
- First formal observation for Year 3 Staff - Due before January 15th
- Mid-Year Review of SLO - Before February 15th
- 2 visits to another classroom - Due by the End of the Year
Dates to Remember
- January 13th - Curriculum Steering Committee Meeting 2:45pm - DMR
- January 14th - Staff Meeting 2:50pm - DMR
- January 17th - End of 2nd Quarter
- January 17th - 7th Grade Ski Trip
- January 20th - No School for Students - Inservice/Record Keeping for Staff
- January 24th - 8th Grade Ski Trip
- January 28th - BAMS School Spelling Bee 1:30pm - HMPAC
- January 28th - Staff Meeting 2:50pm - DMR
- January 31st - 6th Grade Petitt Ice Center Field Trip
- February 7th - Pep Assembly
Staff Meeting Agenda
Next Staff Meeting: January 14th, 2014 - 2:50-3:15pm
Agenda: 2014-2015 BAMS Schedule