Second Grade News
September 19, 2014
Upcoming Important Dates
This weekend - Plano Balloon Festival - your child should have come home with a free ticket for Friday night, September 19th.
Saturday, September 20th - Cougarette Garage Sale at Clark High School - begins at 8am
Wednesday, September 24th - PSHS Homecoming Parade
Thursday, September 25, 2014 @ 6pm - Reflections Art Night and General PTA Meeting
Homework for the week of September 22-26
Your child's homework is posted in your child's ROCKET folder. Homework will be given to the students on Friday and then it is due by the following Friday.
Homework for this upcoming week is as follows:
- Reading – at least 20 minutes nightly to help develop reading fluency and comprehension. Your child will need to write down the title of the book or chapter he or she read on the reading log which can be found in the READING POUCH in the ROCKET folder. Then parents/guardian will need to initial in the box each day your child read for at least 20 minutes. Also have them answer questions or tell you about what they read.
Math – September Monthly Math Booklet - Days 16-20
Spelling - Your child needs to complete 3 activities that follow the spelling pattern and Dolch words for the week. You will find the list in the spelling envelope in your child's ROCKET folder.
Remember to check your child's folder each night. When we send home completed work, it is put in the back pocket (stay at home) and when we have notes from the office or us, we usually put them in the front pocket so that you see them when you open the folder. Even though the pocket says "Bring back to school," we do not want them back unless it is something that you are to fill out and return to school.
Math - Place Value
This week we started working on looking at place value up to 1,200. We are looking at how to write the number in different ways. Here are the different ways we looked at this week:
- Standard Form - use the digits to make the number
- Expanded Form - a way of writing the number showing the value of the sum of the numbers.
- Word Form - use number words to write the number
- Base Ten Blocks - use tens blocks to show a model of the number
The picture below shows these and other ways to WRITE a NUMBER. Next week will continue looking at ways to make numbers and then go into looking at money. You might want to take time to review the coins and their values as a way to download the information before we get to it next week.
Learning Through Technology
Wish List School Supplies
We are in need of:
WET WIPES - We would really like for each student to bring a container of wet wipes. Please do not send cylinder containers, we prefer the box containers or the square packages. They are easier to get out of the containers. Thank you for helping.
Gently Used Clothes - We are also in need of extra clothes for students that have accidents. We need both girl and boy clothes, shorts and pants, shirts, underwear and panties sizes 7/8 and 9/10. The underwear and panties need to be new.
The Leader in Me
Developing Leaders One Child at a Time
To Live, to Love, to Learn, to Leave a Legacy
Seven Habits of Happy Kids
What are the 7 Habits:
- Be Proactive
- Begin with the End in Mind
- Put First Things First
- Think Win-Win
- Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood
- Sharpen the Saw
Second Grade Mission Statement
•Be a leader by being
•Engaged in learning
•Always doing our best
•Always being polite
•Doing the right thing by realizing that
•Every habit is important in
•Reaching our GOALS and becoming a Leader