Virtual Learning School (VLS) Update
Latest Information Regarding Enrollment Change Deadline
In December, Saint Paul Public Schools announced that elementary school students will be returning to full-time, in-person learning in February. K-Grade 2 start on February 1. Grades 3-5 start on February 16.
Families have the opportunity to choose their preferred learning model -- to continue with distance learning through the Virtual Learning School or move to full-time, in-person learning.
Kindergarten through 5th grade students, including students who receive special education services in those grades, who wish to stay in distance learning for the remainder of the school year are asked to enroll in the Virtual Learning School (VLS) by Friday, January 8. More information, including Frequently Asked Questions, is available on the Virtual Learning School website.
All students not enrolled in the Virtual Learning School will be scheduled for full-time, in-person instruction.
If you wish to change from in-person to VLS, please contact the Student Placement Center at 651-632-3760 by January 8. If you wish to change from VLS to in-person, please contact the Student Placement Center at 651-632-3760 by January 8.
Families requesting VLS or In-Person after the January 8th deadline:
- Families requesting VLS after the January 8th deadline will be accommodated through a placement process following the re-roster of students. *Please note that this may result in the student being enrolled in a different school for the reminder of the 2020-21 school year.
- Families requesting In-Person after the January 8th deadline will be placed on a wait list which will be monitored. The wait list will be monitored to determine if a transition date is possible.
- It appears that families may be given an opportunity to make a change at the end of the quarter on April 1.
Class Make Ups and Teaching Staff
Some Horace Mann staff members will move to VLS. Classes will likely be multiage, such as a Grade 3-5 class.
The remaining Horace Mann staff members will work in-person. Again classes will likely be multiage, such as a Grade 1-2 class.
There will not be an opportunity to select a class placement, a student placement, or a teacher placement. Classes will be created with the best balance possible.
All the other details that make up the school day and how we do school will remain as in past years with the extra safety layers of handwashing, cleaning and sanitizing, masking & PPE, increased ventilation and higher-rated filters, and logistical changes to reduce connections between classes and grade levels. It is not possible to provide any more details prior to the enrollment deadline. Truly, the only family choice at this time is whether they prefer distance or in-person learning.
Presentation and QnA from Tuesday, January 5, 2021
District School Choice Activities for 2021-2022
The Student Placement Center will host virtual School Choice Enrollment Workshops to help families with the school application process and to answer questions. Each session will include a short presentation that explains the enrollment process.
The five dates are:
- 10 a.m. and 11 a.m., Saturday, January 9
- 6:30 p.m., Thursday, January 14
- 10 a.m., Thursday, January 28
- 6:30 p.m., Thursday, February 11
- 6:30 p.m., Thursday, February 25
More information will be available on spps.org/apply.
Contacts and Social Media
Virtual Office Hours: Request by phone or text at 612-314-5187 or email.