8th Grade ELA News
October 12th, 2015 This Week
Our Learning Targets
Our goals this week are:
- Begin writing our memoirs.
- Discuss the functions of hooks and leads in our memoirs.
- Analyze the different features/characteristics of memoirs.
- Learn the function of dialogue and incorporate it into our memoirs.
- Analyze point of view by creating stories told from different points of views.
- Analyze how figurative language and literal language can effect writing.
- Students should be reading at least 30 minutes per night.
8th Grade ELA Overview
During each unit, students will explore the elements of effective writing, read and analyze fiction and nonfiction, and develop reading strategies. Students will examine literature from the perspective of a writer and use their study of literature to improve their own writing. Students will improve their vocabulary through a variety of activities. Utilizing mentor sentences, students will analyze grammatical structures in writing. Students will maintain a portfolio to demonstrate their growth in language arts. Reading, writing, language, viewing, speaking and listening skills will be developed through a variety of individual and group assignments.