by Vic & Laura
- On average, and adult dolphin will eat 4 to 9% of it's body weight in fish, per day.
- The average life span of a dolphin is appoximately 20 years.
- There are 67 total species of dolphins. 32 of them, oceanic.
- Dolphins have a finely detailed sense of hearing and eyesight.
- The orca, or killer whale is the largest species of dolphin.
- In the wild, dolphins usually sleep with only one side of their brain, and leave the other side active so they can still swim, breathe and be aware of predators.
- Dolphins are the only other mammal that has sex for pleasure.
- Dolphins can dive up to about 1,000 metres, and jump out of the water about 6 metres. They can swim up to 40km pper hour and some can hold their breath for about 30 minutes.
- Squid and fish are the dolhpins favourite food. Pods of dolphins often hunt together to scare and group small fish together so they're easier to catch.
dolphins live in habours, bays, lagoons, gulf, and tributes. They live in pods with up to12 other dolphins. They like to live in warmer water and will migrate if the water gets too cold, some like colder water than others. dolphins are active predators and will feed on fish, squid and crustaseans.