Father Johann Adam Schall
BY: Joey, Alex, Morgan, and Olivia
Photos of Schall
Work in China (Found on Pg. 562)
- He succeeded Matteo Ricci in China and during this time, the number of converted Chinese Christians rose to over 237,000 by 1664.
- He issued an edict giving complete toleration of the church
- Enhanced the number of Chinese Catholics to 800,00
- Exposed the Chinese to Western Culture
- He blended the Christian life in with the Chinese culture instead of forcing it upon them
- His missionary work was made possible with the support of the current emperor
Schall and the Emperor
China After Johann Adam Shall
- The Catholic Church did not remain in good graces with the emperors of China for long.
- Western nations expanded their trading empires in the East, the Chinese became wavy of Western domination, and Western Christian missionaries began to lose favor.
- 1724 - Persecutions of Christians in China resumed and missionaries activity quickly declined.
- By the 18th century, China's faithful numbered around 300,000, less than half the number at the beginning of the century.
How God is seen through Johann Adam Shall
- You can see God through this missionary through the power of evangelization of the Chinese.