Student Teacher Timeline
- Attend Student Teacher Orientation.
- Learn about and receive resources from the Career Development Center.
- Get ready for student teaching!
- Immerse yourself in the student teaching experience. Ask questions, request feedback on performance, lesson plans, etc. Take initiative to learn what works best for your students.
- Begin working on your resume. Check out the resume section of the Career Development Center website (http://careers.appstate.edu/pagesmith/352), as well as the Resource Library section of Career Gear. (careergear.appstate.edu > Resources > Resource Library)
BEFORE OCTOBER 1
- Refine your resume. Update the skills you have acquired.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of your resume (Word document, please) if you would like to have it reviewed.
- Upload your MOST RECENT, REVISED resume to Career Gear! (http://careergear.appstate.edu/ > Current Students > My Documents > Add New)
BEFORE OCTOBER 20
- Research school systems you are most interested in speaking with at the Education Career Fair. Formulate questions YOU would like to ask them.
- Print copies of your resume on resume paper. Print twice as many as you think you will need.
- Polish your interview skills by practicing online with Interview Stream (http://appstate.interviewstream.com) or face-to-face with a Career Counselor.
- Have professional clothes that are clean, pressed and ready to go. Make sure your shoes are shined, too!
EDUCATION CAREER FAIR
10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Blue Ridge Ballroom
Plemmons Student Union
9:15-10am: Student check-in (McRae Peak/Attic Window on 1st floor, PSU)
BEFORE OCTOBER 31
- Write thank you notes to the school system representatives you talked with at the Education Career Fair. Follow up with your top schools.
- Begin asking supervisors, cooperating teachers, principals, instructors, etc. if they would serve as a reference for you.
- Apply for jobs and contact counties in which you might want to work.
BEFORE NOVEMBER 30
- Thank your supervisors and cooperating teachers for their help.
- Put finishing touches on your portfolio, if you're making one.
- Set up an appointment with a Career Counselor before graduation if you would like additional help.
- Celebrate a job well done! You survived student teaching and are ready to see what the future holds!