By Sophia Jensen
What is Fraud?
Fraud is one of the big downsides of digital communication.
What are the different types of Fraud?
- Phishing & Smishing- Faking an email or message to get person or account information. This could be as harmless and simple as a company tracking what other companies you like to know what ads to send you, or as malicious straight up stealing your identity.
- Retail/Auction Fraud- If you buy something online but don't receive it, that's Retail/Auction Fraud. They basically take your credit card information.
- Work at Home Fraud- Every see someone advertising a "super easy job you can do from home"? That would be fraud.
How can I avoid Fraud?
- Don't reply to emails from unknown addresses
- Don't download files linked to emails that are unknown
- Research institutions before continuing
- If you think something is too good to be true, it most likely is.