VOLUNTEER IN COORDINADORA BARRIOS
European Solidarity Corps Programme (ESC)
As a volunteer, the European Solidarity Corps lets you learn through non-formal experiences, improve existing skills or acquire new ones for your personal, educational or professional development.
The volunteering service offers you:
- Free accommodation: a single room in a flat shared with other volunteers.
- Pocket money (€155 per month).
- Money for food expenses (€155 per month).
- Local transport to get to your volunteer activities.
- Arrival and midterm training (midterm evaluation).
- Private medical insurance that will cover all the expenses not covered by the public health system (health, accident and civil liability insurance).
- Your travel expenses from where you live to Murcia at the beginning of the project and from Murcia to your place of residence once the project is finished.
- Visa and residence permit fees (if required).
The volunteering project
Start date: December 1, 2021
End: 31 July 2022
The schedule of volunteer activities will be between 25 and 35 hours per week.
This project will be carried out mainly in a neighborhood of El Palmar called Los Rosales. This neighborhood has been characterized for decades by the process of socioeconomic decline, suffering major problems related to housing and social exclusion, as well as a general deterioration that affects many levels: urban, physical and social, and problems in the social and labor integration of the inhabitants.
The volunteers will participate mainly in supporting the extracurricular educational program and in the intervention and supervision of children, youth and adults at risk of social exclusion.
More specifically, the activities in which volunteers will be free to get involved (and we are open to any suggestion or competition / activities they share / propose) are:
1. Activities with children and young people: Supporting educational activities through games - Playroom, supporting and participating in workshops for young people at high risk of social exclusion (mainly immigrants from the Maghreb),supporting the supervision and the extracurricular educational programme for immigrant children and young people, supporting educational workshops (computers, ceramics, etc.), supporting community activities, supporting excursions with immigrant minors.
2. Activities with adults: Family support and supervision, participation and support in the workshops with women,support in the workshops on child protection, participation and support in the workshops on gender equality, support in the workshop on intercultural learning.
3. Activities for the promotion of European projects and programmes and mobility between and among the European Union and its Member States.
4. Participation in workshops and presentations of the European Solidarity Corps (ESC) programme in youth organizations, secondary schools in the city of Murcia and the University of Murcia.
Due to the situation caused by the Covid-19 we have also included in our activities courses and telematic resources aimed at improving the attention to our users, the volunteer will also participate in the same and / or support in the logistics, when necessary.
Our volunteering project seeks to promote the values promoted by the EU and the ESC Programme, such as solidarity, equality, justice, respect, the fight against exclusion and xenophobia, etc.
Accommodation and maintenance
The volunteers who participate in our project will live in a flat located in the center of the city of Murcia together with other volunteers who carry out their volunteer project in other organizations in Murcia.
The flat will be rented by the Euroaccion Association, the coordinating organization of this project. Each volunteer will have his/her own room to guarantee privacy and space. The coordinating organization will pay the rent of the apartment and the bills on a monthly basis, to free the volunteers from these tasks.
This project is funded by the European Commission and covers, in addition to accommodation, the costs of food, pocket money and local transport. This money will be managed by the volunteer in a free and independent way.
Coordinadora de Barrios de El Palmar
Coordinadora de Barrios is a non-profit organization with more than 30 years of experience working with people at risk of marginalization and social exclusion. We have a long history of working with young people and their families in the framework of the prevention of social exclusion in some of the most marginalized areas of the city of Murcia.
The work is mainly focused on the quality of life and integration of children at risk of social exclusion in our area through different projects and activities, and supporting their families.
We have been working in different areas and municipalities of the Region of Murcia since 1986. The organization is made up of four groups (neighborhood collectives) that develop and implement different projects that work in specific areas, sadly famous for the high risk of social exclusion of their inhabitants: Barrio de Los Rosales in El Palmar, Barrio de Santa Rosa de Lima / San Pedro in Alcantarilla, Barrio Espíritu Santo in Espinardo and Barrio del Polígono de la Paz in Murcia.
Our work began in the 90s as a response to the needs of the boys and girls living in Los Rosales: family problems, poverty and economic struggle, lack of trust in the educational system, early school-leaving, lack of space for activities of leisure where to have fun and live together.
The objectives of the Coordinadora de Barrios are:
- Addressing the problems of dysfunctional children, young people and adults, in order to respond to these situations through direct interventions and support.
- Provide support and supervision where needed (urban areas, police stations, prisons, centers for drug addicts, etc.).
- To get close to the concerns and anxieties of families and individuals in general, and to get involved and help them look for possible solutions.
- Promote education and raise public awareness on these issues, developing critical analysis of situations that become an obstacle to the integration process.
- Coordinate the work in the different areas and cooperate with the many organizations or institutions that share the same objectives.
This project is aimed at young people between 18 and 30 years old who have not participated in any European volunteering project (EVS or ESC) before.
Our association will prioritize the selection of young people with fewer opportunities, young people who face geographic, economic and/or educational barriers.
For the type of work we do, we are looking for dynamic, open-minded people who are willing to share their opinions, suggestions and ideas and that they feel comfortable working with children and young people.
We value people with a strong spirit of solidarity who are willing to generously share the best of themselves, who know how to respect and actively defend the dignity of our beneficiaries and promote their full development with empathy and patience.
It is very important that our volunteers have a certain maturity, emotional balance and flexibility to adapt to the work and the team.
We will positively evaluate people who actively participate and communicate both in the staff meeting and more generally with colleagues and in the working environment, who are open to meeting new people and experiencing new things, who leave the door open for initiative and creativity.
As for the selection process, any young person interested and motivated enough to participate in the kind of work we do, who knows how to respect our beneficiaries and is responsible enough to commit to our project, will be considered suitable.
No young person willing to participate in our project will be excluded for any reason (economic difficulties, social or geographical obstacles, cultural or ideological differences, sexual orientation, age, ethnicity, gender identity and sex, etc.).