The Sunday Message
Announcements, Resources, Celebrations 9/11/17
Welcome Back Track 2!!!
September 11, 2001 Will Never Be Forgotten
Lots of Great Happenings at PUE
Be sure to follow our school @PleasantUnionYR to see more about these and the many other activities going on at Pleasant Union.
Read-a-Thon is Coming.
The PUE PTA is excited to announce that we will be kicking off our 1st ever Read-A-Thon at Pleasant Union. Last week we held a Pep Rally for tracks 1 & 3. This week we will hold a kickoff Pep Rally for Tracks 2 and 4 at 2:45 in the gym. The Read-a-Thon fundraisers will run from September 18th - 29th for Tracks 2 and 4 and October 2 - 13th for Tracks 1 and 3. Ask your child about the various individual, class and school goals that we are striving to meet.
How will the PTA put the fundraising to use this year?
PTA will help Pleasant Union continue to build its 21st Century Learning Environments. This includes mobile/flexible furniture, up to date technology, conference costs for our teachers to attend professional development not available at Pleasant Union, miscellaneous in-class supplies specific to your child's classroom, and support for the global learning initiative begun this year.
Did you know that if we reach our fundraising goal of $55,000 that:
PUE keeps 75%: $41,250
- Students earn 15% to spend in the Read-a-thon Prize Store for their reaching set goals
- Only 7% goes to the Read-a-Thon organization
- 3% goes to online transaction fees
- Businesses can sponsor students and the school.
- Our fundraising efforts are immediately realized as the Read-a-Thon Fundraiser collects Donations versus Pledges.
- Read-a-Thon is primarily done online. If, however, you cannot participate online you can write a check directly to the PUE PTA, who, in turn will deposit your check and transfer it to the online fundraiser.
So How Can Our School Have a Successful Read-a-Thon Fundraiser? Here's the facts:
$55,000 may seem like a far reaching goal but let’s break it down
PUE has 610 Students across 31 Classrooms (average of 20 students per class).
So we need to raise an average of $1775 per class.
Which is an average of $90 per student.
The KEY is to increase the total number of sponsors
According to Read-a-thon website on average $29 is raised per sponsor.
So to reach our goal of $55K we need 1897 sponsors!!
Which is an average of 60 sponsors per class
Which is an average of only 3 sponsors per student
- More sponsors or a higher average sponsorship enhances our chances to reach our school goal.
Additional questions about Read-a-Thon please contact:
Deadline to Let PTA Know About Your Business is This Friday, September 15
The Pleasant Union PTA is creating a Business Directory of PUE work places and family owned-operated businesses. Green registration forms were sent home in Tuesday folders. The link is now live on puepta.com or you can follow the link in the emailed version of this message. The deadline to submit this information is September 15. Please take this opportunity to let PUE families support you!
How to Handle Inclement Weather
Although Hurricane Irma is not expected to have the significant effects originally forecasted, it is important to be aware of the Wake County Inclement Weather Procedures. As a Year-Round School, when and if days are called off, due to inclement weather all are treated the same way regardless of source of inclement weather (snow, hurricane, etc.). Days are made up on Saturdays based on the tracks in session during the called off days. See the Wake County Inclement Weather Page for more details.
Pleasant Union will be reaching out to some affected schools and communities in Texas and Florida in the near future. This past weekend Today Show has provided a good video link for how to help victims of Hurricane Irma. The video shares good ways to safely reach out to any other natural disaster.
For Safety Sake--Please Walk Your Child In the Building
Not Too Early to Sign Up to Bring a Dish for the September 29 Staff Appreciation Luncheon
PTA is already preparing for the next staff appreciation luncheon for the September 29th Early Release. They are asking for your help to show our wonderful teachers and staff how much we all appreciate them. Please go to the signup genius page to sign up to bring your dish to support the luncheon. Follow the link to let PTA know how you'd like to help out.”
Here Comes the Bus
Here Comes the Bus is a new app for parents launched for year-round schools the week of Aug. 21. It will be available for traditional schools in mid-September. Remember that we will still provide updates for expected bus delays or if we are alerted that there will be a subs via the Remind app.
Mark Your Calendar
Monday, September 11
- 9/11/01 Anniversary-See link to resources above.
Thursday, September 14
- 2:45 Read-a-Thon Pep Rally for Tracks 2 and 4 in Gym
Monday, September 18
- 5:30 Board Advisory Committee Meeting at West Millbrook Middle School (Discussion Theme: Student Assignment 2018-19).
Tuesday, September 19
- 8:15 PTA Meeting in Media Center
Tuesday, September 26
- BYOD Kindergarten Meeting T 2,3 6-6:45, T 1,4 6:45-7:30
Thursday, September 28
- 5-8 Barnes & Noble Night-Come see staff read and our chorus sing.
Friday, September 29
- Student Global Kickoff K-2, T 2-4
- Early Release. Students dismissed at 1:15.
- Staff Appreciation Luncheon/Professional Development