Aiming to Keep You Informed
May 1, 2020
From the Office
Bloomingdale School District 13 schools are closed for the remainder of the school year due to the pandemic threat for students and staff. Please continue to check the District 13 website for the most up-to-date information.
Teacher Appreciation Week (May 4th - May 8th)
Next week is Teacher Appreciation Week. Please join us in showing your appreciation for our wonderful teachers and staff. Here are a few suggestions if your child would like to participate by using either email or Google Documents or Slides.
- Let your teacher know how he or she may have made a difference for you while you were a student at Westfield.
- Send a note to show just how much he or she is appreciated.
- Write a fun poem.
- Take a popular song and switch out the lyrics.
- List your favorite memories from their class this year.
- Make a poster or card and take a picture of it or include yourself in the picture holding it.
- Write your message with sidewalk chalk and take a picture of it.
- Send any of the above in a video of you.
Thank you for helping our teachers and staff to feel special!
Attention 7th Graders - Choose next year's Exploratory Courses
Please read this Exploratory Parent Letter regarding student choices for their 8th Grade Courses. Your choices are needed by May 7th. Thank you!
We are in the process of working with District 13 and Westfield staff to create safe and practical ways of celebrating our students and closing out the school year. We will share the final plans as soon as we can.
Here are a few updates:
- 5th to 6th Grade Transition: We are working on a video message to welcome all of our incoming 6th graders and answer some of their common questions. Typically, in early to mid-May we visit 5th graders at both DuJardin and Erickson and also host incoming students and their parents at Westfield for a presentation and tour of the building. At this time, no date has been set for an in-person visit.
- 8th Grade Celebrations and Gifts: Two Google forms were recently sent out. Parents - Please complete the PTO form for Graduation Gifts if interested and ask your 8th grader to please complete the 8th Grade memory/quote form for our celebration slideshow. On a related note, we are still planning to distribute diplomas, medallions and gowns to our students sometime close to June 1st.
- 3rd Trimester Grades and Cumulative GPA: Our Remote Learning plan calls for students to receive either a PASS or NO GRADE designation for the current grading period based on the percentage of completed work, with 50% being the minimum to receive a PASS. Therefore, work that may have been graded at the start of the 3rd Trimester (and 2nd Semester 8th Grade Exploratory courses), will be factored into the completion percentage and the entire grading period will receive either a PASS or NO GRADE.
For 3rd Quarter Exploratory courses (6th and 7th grade) students will receive traditional grades based on the work they had completed prior to the school closure. Students will have time to make up any missed work from the 3rd quarter. Please contact your child's 3rd quarter Exploratory teacher directly with any questions or concerns.
Cumulative GPA's will be calculated using only the 1st & 2nd Trimester grades for core classes, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quarter grades for 6th & 7th Exploratory and the 1st Semester for 8th grade Exploratory.
- Supply pick-up: District leaders are working on a plan for parents to pick up student items that remain at each of the District 13 schools. Look for more information from Dr. Bartelt in the near future.
- Warrior Excellence Awards: We are planning to recognize student nominees and award winners with certificates/plaques as in previous years. The names will be shared via a slideshow tentatively scheduled to be released in late May. The physical awards will most likely be distributed as part of the student supply pick-up. Stay tuned for more information.
~Be sure to check out our Virtual Warriors of the Week and the Staff Photo Messages!
Warriors of the Week
We Are Warriors Virtual 5K Run/Walk/Bike - April 30th to May 3rd
Please reach out to Mr. Buchholz with any questions.
Yearbook Orders - Updated on 4-17-2020
The Westfield Passcode is: 1014041382501890
Art for All
District 13 Remote Learning Plan
As per the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) guidelines, new learning will be provided by teachers in order to minimize the loss of learning due to the school closure. Our main goal continues to be the health and well being of students and families. Please know, that the lessons provided during Remote Learning are recommended, but we understand if students are unable to complete every single assignment or activity.
Students will receive feedback and a completion grade from their teachers on assignments & activities they complete. Students will also receive either a grade of PASS or NO GRADE at the end of the grading period based on their participation in learning activities. Students must complete a minimum of 50% of the assigned activities in order to receive a grade of PASS. Completion is based on attempts and not on accuracy. Feedback from teachers will relate to accuracy and proficiency, but will not negatively affect a students overall grade as per the ISBE. For students who would like to go beyond the recommended daily classroom activities, additional activities will also continue to be provided by teachers and specialists. We ask that you strongly encourage your student(s) to participate in any and all recommended activities provided by their classroom teachers. We believe it will benefit your child's academic and social-emotional development.
As a reminder, student participation/attendance will be tracked in each classroom in an effort to stay connected with each student. If a student fails to participate, teachers will attempt to contact students and their parents/guardians via email to help problem-solve the situation. If the email correspondence is unsuccessful, our administrative assistant, Mrs. Spejcher, will attempt to contact parents/guardians by phone. As mentioned in Dr. Bartelt's email, the phone number will appear as the District number of 630-893-9590. If at any time, you know your child will not be able to participate, please call Westfield at 630-529-6211 to report an absence for that day, either the evening before or prior to noon on the particular date.
We strongly encourage you to participate in the learning process on a daily basis in all of your classes!
Each day/week, please do the following:
- Review each teacher's Google Classroom daily
- Check your email and respond when necessary
- Participate in large group activities on Google and Zoom
- Contact your teacher for assistance with an assignment or activity
Contact us if you need assistance beyond a specific class assignment
- 6th Grade: Mr. Cikesh - email@example.com
- 7th Grade: Mrs. Foley - firstname.lastname@example.org
- 8th Grade: Mr. Sparks - email@example.com
- Mrs. Zagotta - firstname.lastname@example.org
7th Graders: Taking Spanish Next Year?
Assistant Principal's Office - Substitute
Beginning on Monday, March 9th, Mr. Jeremy Gabriel will serve as our Assistant Principal for the remainder of this school year, while Mrs. Gabany is out on maternity leave. Mr. Chris Shamet will serve as the long-term PE substitute for Mr. Gabriel. Feel free to reach out to either Mr. Gabriel or Mr. Larsson for any assistance you need from Westfield Administration.
Please visit our Google Calendar for all activities and schedules!
*At this time, events that were cancelled have not been rescheduled. Once school resumes, we will provide updates on past & future events that may have been affected. Thank you for your understanding!