6th Hour Socratic Seminar
Guiding Questions for Discussion
- Are the ideals set forth in The Declaration of Independence attainable?
- Do all have an equal opportunity to achieve these ideals?
- How do those who face adversity fight to achieve these rights?
- Have we, as a country, made progress in our attempt to achieve these rights for ALL?
Texts to be Discussed
- “Letter From Birmingham Jail” – Martin Luther King, Jr. (1963)
- Oscar Grant & Fruitvale Station (2008)
- “Getting by with the minimum” – Robert McCoppin and Lolly Bowean (2014)
- “Wait, Women Don’t Have Equal Rights in the United States?” – Tabby Biddle (2014)
- HeForShe UN Speech – Emma Watson (2014)
6th Hour Class Norms
- Check all negative attitudes at the door -- come with an open and positive attitude.
- Everyone actually get into the discussion and take it seriously.
- Keep an appropriate tone of voice and attitude.
- Take equal turns talking and give each speaker a fair opportunity to share -- no interruptions, no hogging the conversation, and no side comments.
- Be mindful of how you respond to others - stay respectful even in disagreements.
- No matter what, be mature and respectful of others' opinions and comments.
SEE YOU THERE!
Can't make it? You will be required to participate in a makeup Socratic Seminar. This will take place during ASAP on Tuesday 11/18 at 2:30 pm in the Library.