KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE
be prepared and ready to address your audience
Why should I know my audience?
You need to understand your audience because
- it is a waste of time if they don't understand what your topic is about
- it can save you a lot of embarrassment if you say the wrong thing or offend someone
- it can benefit you to start off your speech with something everyone in your audience can relate to
What does knowing your audience look like?
If you can answer all of these questions, you are prepared to address your audience.
- What are they like?
- Why are they here?
- What do you want them to do?
- How can you best reach them?
- be previously aware of who you will be speaking to
- if this is not possible, be able to change aspects of your speech to accommodate audience
- if you have any jokes that could be offensive to certain people, they can wait until a time when you aren't speak to the public