August 25, 2023
Location: 15970 Haverhill Drive, Macomb, MI, USA
Attendance Line: 586-797-4799
Dear Ebeling Parents:
It was so nice to see such a fantastic turn out at our meet and greet event yesterday. All of us at Ebeling look forward to officially welcoming a new crop of kindergartners, new student additions to our Ebeling Eagle Family, and welcoming back our current students to the 2023-2024 school year. School begins with a half day on Tuesday, August 29th.
In this newsletter, I have included a calendar of the school year for your planning, and lots of information you will need to start the school year successfully. Watch for upcoming events and dates posted here so you don't miss out on any of the excitement! I can't wait to celebrate being together again. Take some time to enjoy this nice weekend and enjoy each other!
Your Proud Principal,
AUG 29 - School Begins. Half Day for Elementary (8:25 am -11:29 am)
AUG 30 and 31- Full Days of School for Elementary Students (Bell Times - 8:25-3:15)
SEPT 1-4 - No School. Labor Day Holiday Weekend
SEPT 5 - Full Day. Classes Resume following Holiday Weekend
SEPT 7 - Open House/Curriculum Night @ 7:00 PM
SEPT 20 - No School. Teacher professional development workday.
SEPT 29 - Back To School Picnic - 5:30-8:00 PM. Save the Date - see info below for tickets/volunteer
OCT 5 - School Picture Day
2023-2024 SCHOOL CALENDAR:
CLASSROOM LOCATIONS AND ENTRY DOORS
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL AND LINE UP LOCATIONS
The first day of school is Tuesday, August 29th. It is a half-day for elementary students, with dismissal at 11:29 AM.
Upon arrival at school, students line up on the play pad outside of their classroom or main school doors (BEGINNING AT 8:15 am) as indicated on the map above. Your teacher will meet you there!
8:15 - Line up. NO Adult on duty before this time; children must be accompanied by an adult prior to 8:15 unless enrolled in SACC.
8:15-8:25 - Student arrival; teachers stationed on duty
8:25 am - Bell rings for start of day. Teachers open classroom doors/students enter and begin instruction.
8:30 am and afterwards - Students arriving after this time must enter the Main Office Door (Door #1), be accompanied by a parent and signed in as 'tardy'.
Entry Bell at 8:15, School Begins at 8:25, Tardy at 8:30 or after
ARRIVAL & DISMISSAL PROCEDURES
School officially begins at 8:25 AM. Students may begin lining up outside their classroom door and supervision begins at 8:15 AM.
As a reminder, due to our security protocols, parents WILL NOT be allowed in the classrooms.
- Students will line up outside classroom door (or designated main door) beginning at 8:15 until the teacher welcomes them into the classroom at 8:25.
- The drop off lane in the parking lot will allow students to exit vehicles on the passenger side and walk to the crosswalk and then to their line up spot.
- Supervision does not begin until 8:15. Parents DO NOT leave your child unattended or drop them in the drop off lane prior to our supervision times.
Walkers/car riders/pickups will be dismissed from their door locations at 3:15 PM. At the 3:15 bell, teachers (or safety/service squad students) will walk all bus students to their bus for departure.
We have close to 700 students attending Ebeling this year. The parking lot cannot accommodate everyone with a parking spot, and may be 'closed' to car entry at dismissal times. Be prepared to park on the street (Haverhill or Tilch) and walk in to the school property for pick up.
VIEW OF THE PARKING LOT - FOLLOW SIGNS AND ARROWS:
VIEW OF THE THREE LANES...CHOOSE CORRECTLY:
- BUS ONLY - No cars allowed in this lane, closest to the curb.
- DROP OFF ONLY - parents pull up, students open their own door and exit ONTO the yellow crosswalk (staff awaiting). Walk to white crosswalk and onto sidewalk.
- THRU ONLY - cars use this lane to pull into a parking spot, always being aware pedestrians
NOTE: only staff parking allowed in the back lot.
BREAKFAST AND LUNCH INFORMATION
All meals are free this year thanks to the Michigan School Meals law (2A). Students that would like to be eligible for benefits, such as pay-to-participate sports, college entrance/AP testing fees, summer EBT cards and more need to complete the Eligibility Benefits Form or the School Meals and Summer EBT Form (2B). These forms are available at https://utica.familyportal.cloud. Parents, please complete these forms to ensure Title I and other specialized funding is received from the state. One copy of the paper application will be sent home per family at the start of school, with additional copies in the main office.
If your child wishes to eat breakfast at school, they must order breakfast the day before when asked by their classroom teacher. When entering school for breakfast, students must enter through the main doors (either Door 1, or Door 9) and proceed directly to the gym/cafeteria. Doors will open at 8:05, and breakfast will be available to eat until 8:25.
FOOD ALLERGIES AND SCHOOL MEALS
Students with food allergies that wish to use school meals must have a Special Dietary Needs form (download below) completed and signed by a physician. Forms need to be turned in to the office of Food and Nutrition Service. Without this form we cannot make accommodations. This form must be updated every year to ensure accuracy. Since all schools have vegetarian options, parents do not need to complete a form for that option.
Important Note About PaySchools for the 2023-24 School Year
PaySchools has improved its platform this year to provide a system that is consistently more reliable and user friendly. The end result for parents will be that the information they need will be personalized for their child.
As a result, families will be asked to recreate an account (even if you previously had a PaySchools account). Once created, you will be provided with those product choices that directly relate to your child.
Just follow these easy steps:
- Create an account from your computer or tablet at: www.payschoolscentral.com
- Complete the account registration by selecting register, enter your profile details, setting up your password via the email link that will be sent to you, then logging in.
- Add your children to your account using their student ID numbers. ID numbers are found on their report card available through PowerSchool.
- If you like, enter credit card and/or banking information as forms of payments to use with your PaySchools account.
A complete guide (with screen shots) is available at this link.
Need help with your PaySchools Central account?
8:30 a.m. – 7:30 p.m. ET (M-F)
DEVICE INSURANCE FOR IPADS AND LAPTOPS
THE COST OF Insurance has increased from $15.00 to $17.50 per student. The Payschools website has changed to Payschools Central. In order to purchase the device insurance parents will need their child(ren) student ID number (which can be found on the report card) and create a NEW Payschools Central account. The directions for creating an account can be found at: https://www.uticak12.org/domain/85
Please note that the final date to enroll in the optional device insurance plan is Friday, September 8th.
The teachers and staff at Ebeling support the recognition of a child’s birthday during the school day - it is an annual milestone in every child’s life. While there are many wonderful and creative ways to celebrate a child’s birthday in school, birthday celebrations at Ebeling will not include food treats. Instead, the focus will be on recognizing the day in a variety of special ways that do not include food treats. Some possibilities include:
- · Class sings “Happy Birthday”
- · Happy Birthday Recess/Gift
- . Sticker/bracelet from Principal
- · Morning “Happy Birthday” PA announcement
- · Parent makes a donation of book to class library/read to class
- · Student reads favorite book to class
- · Non-Food treat bags for classmates
- · Parent/special someone reads story to class
We do not accept deliveries on behalf of students (balloons, flowers, food items) Parents may drop off a special lunch (for their child only, not the class) or choose to take their child out to lunch on their special day. Your child’s teacher will have more information on how birthdays will be celebrated in the classroom. As educators, caregivers and loved ones we all want the best for our students. Thank you for joining us in giving students healthy opportunities to celebrate important events and achievements.
We are asking for your assistance to ensure that our security procedures during the school day are effective. As many of you know, our school has a security camera, intercom, and buzzer at the front main entrance for use during the school day. To help us assist you when you would like to enter the school:
1. Please press the buzzer to speak with someone in the office
2. You will be asked to state your name and reason for visiting
3. You will be asked to show your photo ID into the security camera above the outside door
4. Office staff will then be able to buzz you inside
5. All visitors must immediately register in the office
In addition, we are asking you to not let any visitors in the door as you enter (and they come up behind you) or as you exit the building.
The teachers and staff are committed to student safety and security and we would like to thank you for your assistance in helping keep the students of Ebeling safe.
If you are interested in volunteering for the 2023-2024 school year (field trips, classroom helpers, copy , book fair events, holiday shop, field day, and more!) each adult must fill out a volunteer background check. I have attached the form below (if you would like a paper copy to be sent home, call the office and we will send one with your child. The form takes approximately 2-3 weeks to process, if you would like to check one thing off your "to do" list a little early, please feel free to email it to: email@example.com
MEETING WITH TEACHERS/STAFF
Parents will not be allowed back into the classrooms during school hours to drop off any forgotten items or to meet with a teacher unless you have an appointment scheduled. The teachers will provide a list of volunteers and appointments to the office staff.
- Every teacher has an email that he/she checks frequently. Feel free to email the teacher with questions or concerns. The teacher will respond within 24-48 hours.
- Your child's teacher may have asked you to join Remind or another app. Apps can be a quick and easy way for the teacher to communicate with you and send you information. In turn, you can also send text messages to the teacher. Check with your child's teacher to ask if there is a Remind or other app set up for communicating.
- You may also phone the front office to leave a message for the teacher to call you. Our number is 586-797-4700.
It is my expectation that during instruction time teachers are face to face with students and making the most of their instructional minutes. Thank you for helping us maintain our educational environment within the classroom.
All students riding bikes to school should lock their bikes on the bicycle racks provided near front driveway onto Haverhill, and at the back of the school off the catwalk. Please plan to lock your bike if you are able, as we have had a few bicycles go missing over the years.
For safety purposes, all students must walk their bicycles on school grounds (all sidewalks front and back).