Central Park East II
CPE II Notes February 11, 2018
Mid-Winter Break starts this Friday, February 16th
February 19-23 schools are closed for the Midwinter recess.
School resumes Monday, February 26th.
Del viernes 16 de febrero hasta el domingo 25 de febrero: Vacaciones de invierno: no habrá clases en CPE2.
Important Date Calendar Below - Fechas importantes en Espanol abajo
Kindergarten Fancy Bag Reading Workshop for parents 8:15 to 9:00, Wednesday, February 14
Calling all Kindergarten Parents. Please join Theresa in the Art Room to learn about the new Kindergarten routine of Fancy Bag Reading starting the week we come back from February break. This is important information we do not want you to miss out on.
I have been trying to name our life and this is it. Chronic Inconvenience
Parents and teachers who spoke at the February 9th Public Hearing spoke about the early lunch, the single water fountain for over 300 kids, the lack of place for indoor recess and PE and the challenges for asthmatic children in a 4th floor walkup when their asthma is acting up.
Going between two locations does not always align to where I need to be. Service providers at the elementary school work out of closets or the hallway. There is very limited room to pull out groups of kids, when teachers need to split classes for best instruction. Reading assessments are often done in the hallway. Violin instruction is in a small lobby outside the custodians office. And I could go on and on.
I think by now our community understands the need for the move. In fact, this has been one of our Hopes and Dreams for years. We have had other offers for a single space, but none were feasible solutions.
Friday's Hearing at PS/MS 108 was Great
Support CPE II's Move to a new single location - We still need your support - Sign up to attend
Tuesday, February 13th @ 6:00 pm
Elementary school building (PS 171 building)
19 East 103rd Street
Speaker sign up is at 5:30. Childcare and Pizza with sign up (click on link below)
Martes, 13 de febrero Audiencia pública sobre la reubicación de CPE II en la PS 171 6PM
Audiencia pública sobre la reubicación de CPE II en la PS 171 6PM
IMPORTANTE: Habrá traducción en español durante la conferencia. Para participar, regístrese usando este enlace:
Regístrese usando el mismo enlace de arriba.
Please send your Box Tops in by THIS COMING Thursday, February 15th!
This is your last reminder for Box Tops before the Winter/Spring submission deadline. Please send your Box Tops in by THIS COMING Thursday, February 15th! Remember to:
· FIND Box Tops around your house
· CLIP those Box Tops
· SUBMIT via your child’s purple folder
Thank you so much for all you are doing to help reach our 2018 goal of 2,000 Box Tops!
Questions about Box Tops? Contact Missy Lloyd (Kylie’s Mom) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New York City families with children born in 2014 can apply to pre-K
Siblings of current CPE II students in grades K to 4, as well as siblings of preK students who continue at CPE II, have priority admission under the NYCDOE rules. After that, spots are offered to District 4 families. For more information go to:
Use that same link to access information for PreK3, starting in East Harlem next year for children born in 2015. You will see CPE II listed. This is pending our relocation, since we don't have room right now.
Farm for City Kids and City Kids Adventure Learning Program
El Museo Teens ages 14-19
El Museo del Barrio recognizes the important role teens have in shaping the cultural landscape of East Harlem and beyond. Because of this, El Museo del Barrio is dedicated to creating a space where teens can explore and create in a supportive environment. Teen programs are designed to empower youth, using El Museo del Barrio’s rich history and art to develop strategies for thinking critically and communicating effectively. Learn more at http://www.elmuseo.org/teens/
Please fill out the application below and an El Museo staff will reach out to you via email. We look forward to reviewing your application! Apply at:
To buy tickets and raise money for our school click on link, select Central Park East School II from the “Select My School” Menu on the top of the page. Voila! Our PA earns $3 of each ticket you purchase!
EL MUSEO AT UNION SETTLEMENT - Free Teen Program
February 14 and 28; March 14 and 28; April 11 and 25; May 9 and 23
4:30pm - 6:00pm | FREE ADMISSION (for youth ages 13 - 21)
Union Settlement Jefferson Site at 2205 First Avenue
In partnership with Union Settlement, we invite youth ages 13 to 21 to join El Museo del Barrio's Teaching Artists in creating art inspired by our incredible Permanent Collection of more than 8,000 works of art. Art-making workshops will vary each session among printing, marble drawing and comic book-making.
East Harlem Youth Opportunity Hub is funded [in part] by the New York District Attorney's Criminal Justice Investment Initiative (CJII).
Kids & Teens! Get a New Start at NYC Libraries
On October 19, 2017, fines on all kids’ and teens’ library cards were cleared, allowing all of our young users to borrow books again.
Please note: Fines for ages 17 and under were automatically cleared on October 19. Unreturned items due after October 19 continued to accrue fines.
High school students ages 18 and up can have their fines cleared in person through February 25, 2018.
Free Media and Technology Workshops at Thomas Jefferson Media Lab!
Stop on by the Thomas Jefferson Media Lab and meet your new Media Education Coordinator on Wednesday or Thursday between the hours of 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.!
Ask questions about classes, hours, programming, events, resources and much more! Thomas Jefferson Media Lab will host a wide variety of technolgy and media production programming, great for seniors, adults, teens and youth!
Wednesday, February 14, 2and Thursday, February 15, 2018 10:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m.
Thomas Jefferson Recreation Center 2180 First Avenue, Between 112 & 113
Contact Number 212-860-1383 Contact Email Laira.Reid@parks.nyc.gov
- Tuesday, February 13 - 15 5th grade Camping Trip
- Wednesday, February 14 Kindergarten Fancy Bag Reading Workshop 8:15 to 9:00
- Friday, February 16 - Sunday, February 25th Mid Winter Break - No School
- Monday, March 5th - Wednesday, March 7th - 6th Grade Camping Trip
- Wednesday, March 14th - Friday, March 16th - 4th Grade Camping Trip
- March 21 & 22 — Elementary School Picture Days
- Friday March 23 - Talent Show
- Monday March 26th - Parent Workshop on Social Media
- March 28 — Middle School Picture Day
- Friday, March 30th - Sunday, April 8th - Spring Break
- Weds. - Thurs., April 11th - April 12th New York State English Language Arts (ELA)Test for grades 3 - 8
- Tues., May 1 - Weds., May 2 New York State Mathematics Test for grades 3 - 8
- Friday, May 11th Early Dismissal for Staff PD
- May 23 – June 1st Grades 4 and 8 Science performance test to be administered.
- Monday, June 4th Grades 4 and 8 New York State Science Written section
- Martes, 13 de febrero - 15 viaje de campamento de 5to grado
- Viernes, 16 de febrero - Domingo, 25 de febrero Vacaciones de medio invierno - No hay clases
- Lunes, 5 de marzo - Miércoles, 7 de marzo - Camping de 6to Grado
- Miércoles, 14 de marzo - Viernes, 16 de marzo - Camping de 4to Grado
- 21 y 22 de marzo: Días de Photos Pre K - 5
- Viernes, 23 de marzo - Show de talentos
- Lunes, 26 de marzo - taller para los padres - medios de comunicación social
- 28 de marzo - Día de Photo Middle School
- Viernes, 30 de marzo - Domingo, 8 de abril - Vacaciones de primavera
- Miercoles - Jueves, 11 de abril - 12 de abril Examen del idioma inglés (ELA) grados 3 - 8
- Martes, 1 de mayo - Miercoles, 2 de mayo Examen de Matemáticas grados 3 - 8
- Viernes, 11 de mayo salida temprano
- 23 de mayo - 1 de junio Grados 4 y 8 Examen de rendimiento de ciencias para ser administrado.
- Lunes, 4 de junio Grados 4 y 8 Sección Escrita de Ciencia del Estado de Nueva York