By: Victoria Vynnychok
The most important belief in Taoism is that the universe works harmoniously according to its own ways. People must find the way to live in harmony with the Tao. They believe this because it's their spiritual way of living and it's also native to their traditions.
While other religions set strict rules and punishments, Taoism offers guidance to harmony with the universe and a way for the soul to become part of it.
Up to now there has been no reports on Taoist extremists.
Listen, but you can't touch it.
Invisible, inaudible, intangible.
This poem's lines define Taoism because they they speak of the Tao's harmony. Taoism doesn't set strict rules, it guides an individual in search of harmony.
- Today there are about 20 million Taoists worldwide.
- Was formed in 550 b.c.e.
- Laozi is know as the founder of Taoism.
- The Tao Te Ching or Daodejing by legend is said to be written by Laozi himself.
- Taoism is a philosophical, ethical, and religious tradition of Chinese origin.
- Tao means "way" but can also be interpreted as road, channel, path or line.