Goals of Performance Hydration
- Delay fatigue and maintain mental sharpness
- Advance ability to to regulate body heat, especially in hot weather conditions
- Satisfy thirst and prevent weight loss from sweat
- Able to recover from training and competition faster
- Begin exercise well-hydrated since most athletes find it challenging to match fluid intake to sweat loss while exercising
- Prevent under or overconsumption of fluids while training longer than 30-60 minutes
- If training is intense or involves intervals, consume carbohydrate in the form of sports drinks or snacks
- For events lasting longer than an hour (tournaments, multiple games on the same day), enhance hydration by selecting snacks and meals that contain salt or sodium.
- Monitor urine color status
- Experiment during training to identify the volume of fluid to drink that feels comfortable and allows you to perform at your best.
- Consult a sports dietitian to develop a personalized hydration schedule to meet your fluid needs.