Academy of St. Benedict the African
October 10, 2022
Week of October 10, 2022
I hope that this week's Family Update finds you enjoying the long weekend.
Our Double Good Popcorn Sale was a huge success! Thank you for your participation and hard work selling! We sold over $18000 in just 4 days, raising over $9000 for the library! That's an amazing feat!
Our Flag Football Team remains in first place after a nail-biter game against St. Sabina. This guarantees them a spot in the championship game on 10/21 at 6 pm. They are playing this Saturday at 9 AM, too. All games are at Leo High School Come on out and support the team!
Featured Families: Would you like to be a St. Benedict the African Featured Family? Complete this form! We love to spotlight our families, and we will even offer 1 PAW for participating!
Our busy month continues - here's what is happening this week:
- October 12th - 8 AM - Pizza Money due to classroom teacher if ordering (no exceptions)
- October 12th - Seventh Grade visits the Holocaust Museum in Skokie, IL
- October 14th - Eighth Grade attends Holy Fire Religion Retreat at UIC Pavillion.
- October 15th - 9 AM Flag Football Game @Leo High School v. Cuffee Elementary
- October 17th - All immunization information and birth certificates must be submitted to school to avoid exclusion
Our first Home Run Inn Pizza fundraiser is scheduled for 10/21. The money (cash only) and slip are due back to the teacher by 10/12 at 8 AM. We have to order that day - there are no exceptions to the due date. Forms were sent home, and one is attached that can be downloaded.
Please continue to be courteous and kind at drop-off and pick-up. A few extra minutes won't hurt, and our children's safety is at stake. Please keep sick children home. We have a shared responsibility to keep everyone healthy!
All scholars enter the school at door 1. For extended day families, pick up is from door 2 after 3:30.
I will be out of the building from Wednesday afternoon to Friday as I attend a leadership conference. Please email me or let the office know if you need to contact me. The office will then let me know.
Let's make this a great week of learning!
773-776-3316 enter 101 at the voicemail message if needed.
Prayer Walk for Peace
Our 7th Annual Prayer Walk for Peace was amazing. We had a beautiful day with many guests attending with us.
Prayer Walk for Peace
And a little child shall lead them...
More yard signs have been ordered. We have a list of families who want a sign in the office. Please call to get your name on the list. As soon as they arrive, we will send yours home!
Prayer Walk for Peace
While the full navy blue dresses that some girls have been wearing are adorable, they are not part of the uniform and should be saved for a dress-down day. A jumper with the polo is fine.
Only plain navy sweaters, school hoodies, or school gym sweatshirts may be worn during the day over the polo.
All K-8 scholars must wear gym shoes every day. Each must have the school polo with the logo or name of the school embroidered. Plain polos and button-up shirts are not part of our uniform.
The gym uniform must be purchased at Martinellis 3517 W. 95th, Evergreen Park.
The school has the polo ($15) and the school hoodie ($20 cash/$23 card). We have a limited supply of extra Kind shirts available for $5. Cash only, please, for those shirts. Please label all hoodies and sweatshirts.
Also, the children will be asked to remove their jewelry if wearing any. It's a distraction, against our dress code, and creates safety concerns. All boys should remove their earrings before coming to school. Our dress code regarding jewelry and nail polish aligns with all other Catholic Schools in our council.
The calendar is always accessible on our website and our mobile app.
2022-2023 School Calendar
Tuition Payments & Action for Children
Currently, there are families attending afterschool care without a plan for its cost. This week, we will be making calls to either help with AFC, determine a flat rate, or add per diem charges to the account. Our business office will assist all families with their Action for Children paperwork, be it an initial application or a redetermination. AFC can cover costs for our 3, 4, and 5-year-olds and before and aftercare for our 6 - 13 year-olds.
It's essential that payments are made as scheduled so that the school can meet its obligations.
Please reach out to me or Ms. Fernandez, our business manager, if you have concerns.
Academy of St. Benedict is Playing Flag Football
School & Office Hours
Arrival for breakfast 7:15 AM - 7:35 AM
Classes Begin: 7:45 AM (Children not in their seats at 7:45 are marked tardy)
School Ends at 2:45 on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. 2:00 PM on Wednesdays
Extended Day: 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM - to reach extended day, call the school and enter 107 at the recording.
Office Hours - Every Day - 6:30 - 3:30 and by appointment
UPCOMING IMPORTANT DATES!
- October 10th - No School
- October 12th - Grade 7 to Holocaust Museum
- October 14th - Grade 8 to Holy Fire
- October 17th - Kind Shirt Day
- October 19th - Chipotle Fundraiser 4pm - 7pm - 63rd and Halstead
- October 25th - Picture Day
- October 28th - Harvest Fest $10/student
- November 14th - 17th - Scholastic Bookfair
- November 17th - Parent -Teacher Conferences from 8-4, Remote Learning Day with Childcare available from 6:30 - 5:15.
- November 18th - NO SCHOOL/NO Childcare - Professional Learning Day
- November 21st - 25th Thanksgiving Break - NO SCHOOL
- December 13th - NO EXTENDED DAY - ALL Staff Meeting
- December 21st - Christmas Program at 9 AM
- December 22nd - January 3rd - Christmas Break
- January 4th - All return to school