Although Turkey is situated in a geographical location where climatic conditions are quite temperate, the diverse nature of the landscape, and the existence in particular of the mountains that run parallel to the coasts, result in significant differences in climatic conditions from one region to the other. While the coastal regions enjoy milder climates, the inland Anatolia plateau experiences hot summers and cold winters with limited rainfall.
Religions: Muslim 99.8% (mostly Sunni), other 0.2% (mostly Christians and Jews)
Government: republican parliamentary democracy
In ancient times, Turkey was a major player in the Mediterranean. It's in vogue once again, but this time it's the historic sites, natural wonders and value for money that's drawing in the crowds.
- Enjoy a relaxing cruise along the Bosporus past Ottoman palaces, old mansions and fortresses.
- Visit the Grand Mosque and Green Mosque in Bursa, famous for its early Ottoman architecture, silk-filled bazaars and thermal spa baths.
- Discover the mysterious Hittite civilization in Ankara and visit the mausoleums of Ataturk and Haci Bektas’.
- Explore underground cities, rock cut-churches and fairy-tale chimneys of Göreme and the Pasabag Valley.
- Visit the beautiful Mevlana Museum for an insight into the mystic Whirling Dirvishes of Konya.
- Visit the world’s best preserved Roman Theater in Aspendos and the extensive ruins at Perge.
- Visit Pamukkale’s Hierapolis ruins and cascading ‘Cotton Castle’ of milky white travertine pools.
- Tour Ephesus, one of the world’s finest ancient sites, visit the House of the Virgin Mary and Archaeological Museum.
- Visit the site of the ancient Hellenistic city of Pergamon, with some of the most impressive ruins in all of Turkey.
- Pay your respects at Anzac Cove & Lone Pine Cemetery.
- Visit Istanbul’s Blue Mosque and St Sophia museum.
- Gain an insight into the lives of the Ottoman sultans at the fabulous Topkapi Palace in Istanbul.
- Celebrate the music, dance and tradition of the Turkish people at a folklore show in an underground cave.
- Toast the culmination of your tour with a lively Celebration Dinner at an Istanbul restaurant.