The Nationalization process
Cierra & Megan
Beginning the process
Aliens who want to become United States citizens must first sign a statement saying just that. This Declaration of Intention is then filed with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), an agency of the national government.
The next step
The next step comes after living in the United States at least five years. (Aliens who are married to citizens wait only three years.)
Then, if they are at least 18 years old and have lived for at least three months in the state where they seek naturalization, they may file an application for citizenship.
Ways to lose Citizenship
- Becoming a naturalized citizen of another country after age 18
- Joining the military of a foreign state
- Joining the government of a foreign state
- Performing some act to intentionally give up citizenship
- Committing treason or other acts against the U.S. government
Compare and Contrast Illegal vs Legal Aliens
Illegal aliens are non citizens that are not allowed to be in the country which gets deported out, or an alien that has came into the country legally but has lost citizenship and gets deported.