20th - 21st Century Poster Project
1980 Summer Olympics
1980 Olympics Facts
- Host city: Moscow, Soviet Union
- Total Athletes: 5,179
- Events: 203 in 21 sports
- Most metals won (Country): Soviet union with a total of 195
- Youngest participant: Jorge Lima (13 years)
- Oldest participant: Krasimir Krastev (70 years)
- The first live broadcast in space occurred during the opening ceremony
- The first use of large props in an opening ceremony
- Arguably the most influential opening ceremony in history
Opening ceremony stadium
Opening Ceremony in Moscow July 19, 1980
Participating athletes in the 1980 summer olympics
Human tower opening for the Moscow 1980 summer olympics
U.S. lead boycott
- President Jimmy Carter told the Soviet Union that it they don’t withdraw its troops from Afghanistan then the U.S. would boycott the summer Olympics there.
- Carter also increased pressure on the Soviets to leave the war in Afghanistan by having a trade embargo on the two main U.S. goods that the Soviet Union needed, grain and information technology.
- Canada, West Germany and Japan joined the U.S. in boycotting the games but Jimmy Carter did not convince Great Britain, France, Greece and Australia to join the Boycott. (Great Britain and France supported the boycott, but the athletes could participate in the gamed if they wished)
- The Soviets reacted by leading a communist-bloc boycott the 1984 summer Olympics which was held in Los Angeles
1980 Olympics Boycott Map
The US lead boycott helped create 65 countries not participating in the Olympics.
The number of athletes participating in the Olympics from each country.
- The Soviet gymnast Aleksandr Dityatin became the first athlete to win eight metals in one year
- British Sebastian Coe outran two men from East Germany on the last lap of the 1500 for the gold metal
Moscow 1980 Olympic Games Highlights
- "Carter Announces Olympic Boycott." History.com. A&E Television Networks, n.d. Web. 01 June 2016.
- "1980 Olympics." 1980 Olympics. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 June 2016.
- "1980 Moskva Summer Games | Olympics at Sports-Reference.com."Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 June 2016.
- The Modern Summer Olympic Games- Competing Countries. N.d. Web.
- 1980 Olympics in Moscow: Breathtaking Opening Ceremony. N.d. Web.
- Number of Athletes Sent per Nation. N.d. Web.
- Famous Gymnast from Russia. N.d. Http://img2.rnkr-static.com/user_node_img/22/424894/C350/alexander-dityatin-athletes-photo-u1.jpg. Web.