Back to School Newsletter 2022-2023 (Issued: 8/16)
Greeting Howe Families,
The start of the 2022-2023 school year is here and we are thrilled!
Howe was busy with activity this summer so when you are in the building, you will notice a nice, fresh coat of paint throughout the hallways and classrooms. We also installed outdoor tables on the playground and received new furniture for our library.
All the teachers and Howe staff are excited to see Howe students and families at our Back to School Bash on August 22nd from 4:00-6:00pm. Come meet your teacher, grab a bite to eat, gather school supplies, sign up for your conference, dance to music from DJ Rage and more!
Our first day of school is August 24th. Doors open at 7:30am and school starts at 7:45am. One of our goals this year is to improve attendance and decrease tardies. We know that mornings can be a struggle— let us know how we can help you so that your student is at school and on time.
Be on the look-out for an important letter detailing drop-off and dismissal procedures in the coming days.
We are excited to get this new school year started. It is sure to be a fantastic one!
Mr. Williams & Ms. Brooks
Awesome new furniture for our library
Food pantry available for families in the community
Outdoor tables for outdoor classroom
Important Dates & Events
Mark Your Calendars
- Wednesday, August 24 - First day of school
- Wednesday, August 24-Thursday September 1 - Kindergarten Kick Off
- Thursday, September 1 - Kindergarten Meet the Teacher Night
- Friday, September 2 - No School (Kindergarten students only)
- Monday, September 5 - No School (Labor Day)
- Thursday, September 15 - Zoo Night (Title Event)
- Wednesday, September 28th-Thursday, September 29th - Conferences
- Thursday, September 29th-Friday, September 30th - No School
Back to School Bash
Monday, Aug. 22nd, 4-6pm
2900 Indianola Avenue
Des Moines, IA
What to Expect:
- Meet your student's teacher
- Check out the classroom and drop off supplies (4-5pm only)
- Enjoy a hotdog and some water
- Get school supplies, if needed
- Bring a blanket or chair!
Back to School FAQs
How can I find out my student's teacher?
Students entering 1st-5th grade will be able to find out their teacher on Monday, August 22nd during our Back to School Bash.
- For students entering Kindergarten, they will meet both Kindergarten teachers at our Back to School Bash and then their assigned teacher on Thursday, September 1st at our Kindergarten Orientation. (Please refer to the Kindergarten Kick Off Letter)
How do I drop off & pick up my student?
Community Resources & Opportunities
TheWeek@DMPS is the weekly newsletter of Des Moines Public Schools. Subscribe and never miss what's happening at DMPS every week.