News This Week
Tests - We will take our reading test on Friday this week, with our other tests, since it is only a 4-day week.
AR - All student have their reading levels and their goal for this quarter. Be sure to have your child read each night to help meet their goals!
Homework - Students are responsible for writing their homework on their calendar in the folder.
I will be out Friday. I am a National Teaching Fellow for Hope Street Group and we are convening to set up our research project with the U.S. Department of Education. I'm very excited about this opportunity! Our substitute will be Mrs. Miller - she retired from our school last year and has worked with our students for many years. I'm sure they will be great with her!
Friday Shirts are Still Available!
Studies this Week
- Skills: Sequence & Character
- Phonics: Endings -ed, -er, -est, -ing
- Vocabulary: Glossary, Dictionary
- Practice at home: Retell a story in just a few sentences, instead of including all the details to practice summarizing. Put events in order using order words like first, later, or in the morning. Tell the cause and effect of a character's actions.
- Practice spelling and writing words. Visit spellingcity.com/meverette for more practice.
- Words this week: pennies, inches, plants, families, bodies, glasses, wishes, pockets, lists, copies, parties, bunches, crashes, supplies, pencils, accidents, libraries, mysteries, carpenters, merchants
- Addition & Subtraction
- Facts - we are working on basic facts. Students took an un-timed test on this last week. Timed practices and tests will start in the this week.
Vocabulary words are on our weekly reading test. Students should know what each word means.
- college, rich, downtown, nickels, dimes, quarters, fined
Writing & Grammar
- Question and Statement
Statement = a sentence ending in a period.
- Writing - students will work on writing an opinion piece with a topic sentence, supporting details, and a conclusion. We will work on this type of writing for several weeks.
- The Earth's Layers
- Rocks - classifying and sorting
- Studies Weekly - All About Maps (compasses, cardinal directions, types of maps)
- Students can logon to Studies Weekly at home by going to studiesweekly.com
Please Send Headphones or Earbuds!
9 - Title 1 Parent Mtg. 6:00- Library
15 - Snow Wizard $1