Information/Vacation for Costa Rica
Physical Features ( Land and Climate)
- Costa Rica covers about 19,730 square miles.
- About half of Costa Rica is covered by differant types of forests.
- About one-third of the territory is protected areas.
- Costa Rica's wet season is May- November.
- Costa Rica's dry season is December- April.
- The Coastal lowland's teperatures average at 81 degrees fahrenheit year-round.
- The Central Valley highland's temperatures average at 67 degrees faeihrenheit year-round.
- Costa Rica became a self- governing country in 1838.
- Jose Figueres Ferrer was elected president from 1953 to 1970.
- Jose Figueres Ferrer abolished the army in 1948.
- A new constitution was introduced in 1949.
- Coasta Rica is a democratic republic.
- Legislaters have to serve a four year term.
- People have to be 18 years or older are required to vote.
- There's no penalty for not voting.
- Election Day is a national holiday.
Economy ( Tourism, Agriculture, and Manufacturing)
- Exports include coffee, bananas, beef, sugar, ccocoa, and fertilizer.
- Poverty effects one- fifth of the population.
- In the mid-1800's economy was slow because of low prices on agricutural products.
- Ornamental flowers are important exports.
- Manufacturing and tourism is more than agriculture.
- Hydroelectric power plants supply almost all of the coutry's power.
- Coasta Rica is one of the largest banana producers.
- Tourists are drawn to protected areas.
- Ecotourism has grown in popularity over the years.