Learning Commons News
Notes from the Silver Lake Librarian
Students can record any book they read over the summer or read during the school year . Ask Mrs. Sporrer for more information!
Check out my website if you would like to print another document!
Resources for you!
One of the newest databases will be PebbleGo!!! Many of you have asked for it, and this year, because Social Studies will be taught in English as well as Spanish, I am ordering it! We will have Social Studies, Biographies, Animals, and Animales. Look for a training that will offered at a PLC or after school soon!
Discover Destiny is a new app that will allow students to access both Mackin and Follett eBooks.
Capstone Interactive ebooks and Tumblebooks will also be available. Unite for Literacy books and other free books will still be on the Destiny Symbaloo. Make sure to use Safari or Firefox to access Destiny.
Britannica Encyclopedia and Image Quest
We will use the same online encyclopedia and image database this year.
Dates to Remember
August 29-September 2 Book Fair
September 6-12 Library Orientations
September 23 Staff Book Club at Pluckers 4:30
November 18 Polly Holyoke Author visit
December 15 Pajama Read-a-Rama and Reading Program Party
The Learning Commons
The Learning Commons - Where students Read, Learn, Connect, and Create!
- Our program will promote the very best of children's literature to our students with activities designed to help scholars enjoy the stories even more.
- We will be doing our very best to get (or keep) our students "hooked on reading" by recommending specific reading materials for them to consider and explore.
- We will add several hundred new titles this year of the latest and most exciting new books for young readers, including ebooks and audiobooks available 24/7 through their MackinVia and Discover Destiny apps.
- At each grade level, Shooting Stars will be learning research skills specifically suited to their developmental needs.
- We will be working with classroom teachers to help them find materials for their classroom and co-teach their curriculum.
- Classroom and Library units will stress good Digital Citizenship, helping your child make safe and ethical decisions when using the internet.
- Throughout the year we will partner with other campuses across our district, state and country to share our learning experiences in the library and classroom.
- We have lots of special events being planned, including author visits, bookfairs, and reading contests.
- Students will participate in global reading celebrations such as Dot Day, World Read Aloud Day, etc.
- Our Learning Commons has multiple Makerspaces where our Shooting Stars can use various tools to create and explore with their peers.
- Flexible design spaces allow for groups of students to come to the Learning Commons together to collaborate on projects they are working on in class.
I look forward to working with our Shooting Stars to Read, Learn, Connect and Create this school year!