Totem Falls Raven Review
Friday, February 11, 2022
*NEW* ATTENDANCE EMAIL
We have a new attendance email. You can still call 360-563-4751 to report an absence OR use the new email: firstname.lastname@example.org
17: PTO MOD pizza fundraiser, see below
17: Report Cards Sent Home
18-21: Mid-Winter Break *NO SCHOOL*
22: ASB SPIRIT DAY - Wear Tie Dye Day to celebrate 2.22.22
23: PTO Board Meeting & General Meeting
16: Spring into Kindergarten event, 4:00 - 7:00 pm
28-April 1: Parent Teacher Conferences
MESSAGE FROM DR. CHURCH
Dear Totem Falls Parents,
February is Black History Month and teachers have been sharing stories of many important black figures in our history. Here is a link to a PBS kids video discussing race, hosted by Amanda Gorman, this is a great model for having a conversation with your child. Parents and children share conversations based on 3 vignettes. Each section offers a story with familiar PBS friends discussing differences, Rosa Parks and the bus boycott, and concludes with Arthur the Aardvark and John Lewis. I encourage you to take a little time to watch this together. After watching it myself, I wished I had a resource like this when my kids were young.
Next week is a big week here at Totem Falls with Valentine's Day on Monday and the hundredth day of school on Wednesday. It is great to be able to celebrate some of these typical school traditions, even if they are organized a bit differently due to safety measures. With mid-winter break coming up, we can start to look towards spring and hopefully more falling Covid numbers. Enjoy your long weekend.
UPDATE ON HEAT IN THE GYM
A NOTE ABOUT VALENTINE'S DAY
Valentine's Day is coming up quickly. This is a traditional party day and many classrooms will be celebrating by sharing valentines and playing games. We will NOT be having any outside food coming in. We will still have a daily snack break and students can bring their own special snack for that day. We are aware that many packaged valentines have candy as a part of the message and those will be OK, as student will bring them home that day. We will be asking students to refrain from eating the candy until it arrives home and is checked by a parent due to individual student allergies.
BUDDY BENCH at TOTEM FALLS
Brady is a former Totem Falls Raven. When he was in Mrs. Smith's 4th grade class, he saw a need and did something about it to make Totem Falls a better place for all. Brady is now a freshman at Glacier Peak and the founder of our Buddy Bench on our playground. Brady talked about feeling left out and wanting everyone to feel as though they had friends, and raised money through making dog cookies and ornaments to raise the funds. It was inspirational for students to get to hear from an actual Totem Falls Raven who made a lasting difference. It also sparked great conversation around the Buddy Bench and inclusion. He is a model of the quote on the bench, “One kind word can change someone’s day.”
ASB SPIRIT DAY
All are invited to watch the 4th grade music class concert.
MOD Pizza Fundraiser
Thursday, Feb. 17th, 10:30am-11pm
16330 Bothell Everett Highway
Mill Creek, WA
20% of your bill will be given to the Totem Falls PTO to support their great work! Valid for Dine-in or you can order online through the MOD app or website and use coupon code MOD2327.
Dining in? Please bring flyer that was sent home with your student last week or show the one below to the cashier.
Thank you for supporting your Totem Falls PTO.
SPRING INTO KINDERGARTEN
Mark your calendars for our Spring Into Kindergarten event. All 2022-2023 kindergarten families and students are highly encouraged to attend. Spring Into Kindergarten will be held on Wednesday, March 16, from 4-7 p.m. at district elementary schools. Families should complete and return their kindergarten registration paperwork that day. Each school will also be conducting school tours and having important information available for families (WaKIDS, PTA/PTO/parent organizations, bus transportation, special services and more).
More event information and registration materials will be available in the coming weeks. Learn more at www.sno.wednet.edu/kindergarten.
K-12 ISOLATION, QUARANTINE AND TESTING GUIDANCE CHANGES
On Friday, January 7, the Washington State Department of Health updated its K-12 COVID-19 Requirements for the 2021-2022 School Year. Specifically, the new official requirements included:
- Updated isolation, quarantine, and testing recommendations to align with recent Centers for Disease Control and Prevention changes.
- Expanded eligibility for and activities allowed during modified quarantine in Test to Stay programs.
Information regarding the specifics of each of those changes, as well as implementation here in the Snohomish School District, are available at the district links below:
- Isolation (tested positive for COVID-19) – www.sno.wednet.edu/covid19/isolation
- Quarantine (close contact of someone who tested positive for COVID-19) – www.sno.wednet.edu/covid19/quarantine
- Test to Stay Program - www.sno.wednet.edu/covid19/testtostay
- Household Exposures – www.sno.wednet.edu/covid19/householdexposures
- Sick? – www.sno.wednet.edu/covid19/sickness
- Testing – www.sno.wednet.edu/covid19/testing
- District COVID-19 Self-Reporting Tool - www.sno.wednet.edu/covid19/selfreport
- District’s COVID-19 Dashboard – www.sno.wednet.edu/covid19/districtdashboard
- SimpleReport Rapid Antigen Testing Registration – www.sno.wednet.edu/simplereport
- Friday, February 18-Monday, February 21, 2022 - Mid-Winter Break (no school)
- Monday, March 28-Friday, April 1, 2022- Parent-Teacher Conferences (This year’s spring teacher conferences will be held during the week of March 28-April 1. Additional details about the structure of the week and details regarding conference format will be available by early March 2022. We appreciate your patience and understanding.)
- Friday, April 1, 2022 - Half-day early release
- Monday, April 4 - Friday, April 8, 2022 - Spring Break (no school)
- Monday, May 30, 2022 - Memorial Day (no school)
- Friday, June 17, 2022 - Last Day of School (This was the original tentative last day of school pending any snow/inclement weather make-up days and necessary calendar adjustments. The adjusted last day of school will be posted in March after all of the district's snow/inclement weather days are accounted for. As of 1/31/2022 there is currently one snow/inclement weather day that will need to be made up.)
TOTEM FALLS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
The Snohomish School District does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following employees have been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination: Civil Rights Coordinator, Title IX Coordinator and ADA – Darryl Pernat, 1601 Avenue D, Snohomish, WA 98290, 360-563-7285, email@example.com; Section 504 Coordinator and Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying – Shawn Stevenson, 1601 Avenue D, Snohomish, WA 98290, 360-563-7282, firstname.lastname@example.org.