SEPTEMBER NEWSLETTER 9/05/2023
Hello Sand Hill Elementary Parents.
We've had a wonderful start to our school year! We are "ALL IN" at Sand Hill. At SHES, we believe that everyone plays a critical role in the learning process. Students and staff at Sand Hill Elementary are fully committed to our educational journey, embracing challenges, setting goals, and giving our best every day.
Visible Learning represents a fundamental shift in how we approach education. It emphasizes the use of high-impact instructional strategies that yield the best results for students. When learning becomes visible, students gain a clear understanding of what they are learning, where they stand in their learning journey, and what steps to take next. This visibility empowers students to set goals, self-assess, recognize their successes, and engage in collaborative learning by offering feedback to their peers. At Sand Hill Elementary, the STING dispositions teach students the essence of being effective learners.
As you will see below, our STING Students of the Month are displaying our STING learner dispositions. We are so very proud that these students are displaying our learner dispositions in the classroom. They demonstrated one or more of the following dispositions:
T-Take Time to Reflect
N-Never Give Up, We Persevere
Important Information concerning arrival and dismissal procedures:
Morning Drop Off:
- Parents may begin dropping students off at 7:15 AM through the car rider line in the front of the school. Please do not drop students off in the parking lot. All students must enter and exit the building through the main front doors. Please do not drive around the back of the building at any time due to school bus and playground traffic.
- Please follow the traffic pattern in the document below to ensure the safety of all families.
- If your child is a car rider, he/she will need to go straight to breakfast before going to their classrooms. If your child is a bus rider, he/she may drop their book bags off at their classroom and go immediately to breakfast. Breakfast will end at 7:40 AM, so please make sure that your child is at school by this time if they are planning to eat.
- Students should be picked up no later than 2:35 PM.
- Parents are not allowed to walk up to the front of the building to pick up their child during dismissal time. If you do not have a car rider number, you must pull to the middle lane and show ID to pick up your child. You can get a car rider number during Open House. See the transportation table in the lunchroom.
- If your child is a bus rider, please plan to be either home or at the bus stop each afternoon. County policy prohibits bus drivers from dropping off young children without a parent/guardian present.
- If you wish to change your child's regular transportation, please do so before 1:30 PM each day. This ensures that we get the change of transportation to your child's teacher before dismissal.
Late Arrivals/Early Departures:
- Parents must sign children in at the front office if they arrive after the bell rings at 7:45 AM.
- Students must attend school for half the school day in order to be counted present (11:00 AM). Unexcused tardies and unexcused early dismissals, as well as absences in excess of the attendance policy may impact negatively on academic success.
- If you plan to sign your child our early, you need to do so by 2:10 PM.
- All parents/guardians MUST show an ID at the front office each time a student is signed out. Our front office staff will ask every time a parent/guardian arrives. Make sure that you bring your ID when you enter the building. This is for the safety of our students. Thank you for your understanding.
- All excuses should be submitted within three (3) days of return to school. The excuse must note the reason for the absence.
Absences (excused and unexcused):
- Students in grades K-8 who have more than sixteen (16) absences from school shall not be promoted to the next higher grade.
- For more detailed information about absences, please refer to the student/parent handbook (pgs. 15-17).
September 7th- BETA Club Meets 3:00 PM
September 8th- Progress Reports Issued in Infinite Campus
September 11-15th- Canned Food Drive
September 13th- Annual Title I Parent Meeting 9:00 AM & 5:30 PM
September 14th- School Council Meeting 9:00 AM
September 15th- Dot Day for Kindergarten
September 15th- Dress Down for CURE $1.00
September 16th- Parent University (Springfield Elementary)
September 19th- PTA Performance 3rd Grade 6:30 PM
September 21st- PTA Performance 4th Grade 6:30 PM
September 22nd- Rivalry Week (SEHS vs. ECHS)- Black Out for SEHS Students can wear black shirts to support SEHS. The SEHS drumline will be here for car riders on this date.
September 25th-29th- CURE Week (see flyer below for details)
September 28 & 29th-3rd Grade Field Trip to Ebenezer Retreat
September 29th- KONA Ice