Romeo and Juliet Review
Know which character said the following:
- "Here's to my love! O true apothecary! Thy drugs are quick. Thus with a kiss I die."
- "What's in a name? That which we call a rose By any other name would smells as sweet."
- "Tybalt would kill thee, but thou slowest Tybalt. There are thou happy."
- "But soft! What light through yonder window breaks?"
- "O happy dagger! This is they sheath; there rust, and let me die."
- "O, then I see Queen Mab hath been with you. She is the fairies midwife,..."
- "Go home, be merry, given consent to marry Paris."
- "Deny thy father and refuse thy name; Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,..."
- "I think it best you married with the County. O, he's a lovely gentleman! Romeo's a dishclout to him."
- "A plague a both your houses! They have made worms' meat of me."
Make sure you know what happens on each day of the play.
Day 5 - EARLY MORNING
- Huge fight in the streets - introduces the family feud and catches the reader's attention
- Tybalt wants to fight
- Benvolio wants peace
- The Prince threatens the two families with death if they fight in the streets of Verona again
- Romeo is in love with Rosaline
- Count Paris wishes to marry Juliet
- Lord Capulet throws a party in which Romeo and Juliet meet each other for the first time
- After they fall in love they discover they are in love with each other
- Balcony Scene - confess they love each other and plan to get married
- Romeo sets up the marriage with the Friar
- Tybalt sends a letter to Romeo challenging him to a fight
- Romeo tells the Nurse what Juliet needs to do
- Juliet goes to "confession" and is married
- After marriage they go there separate ways
- Tybalt tries to fight Romeo, but Romeo refuses because they are now family (Tybalt doesn't know his reason)
- Mercutio then fights Tybalt
- Tybalt kills Mercutio under Romeo's arm
- Romeo then fights and kills Tybalt
- The Prince banishes Romeo
- The Friar comes up with a plan for Romeo - go to Mantua until he can get everything straightened out
- Juliet is told that she has to marry Count Paris or she is disowned
- The nurse tells her to marry Paris - Juliet no longer trusts the Nurse
- She goes to the Friar and asks him for help
- The Friar gives Juliet a potion that will make her appear dead and tells her to drink it the night before the wedding
- The Friar is supposed to send word to Romeo
- Juliet tells her dad she will marry Paris and he is overcome with happiness that he moves the wedding up a day
- Juliet drinks the potion tonight which messes up the Friar's plans
- The nurse discovers Juliet "dead"
- They have her funeral and Balthasar see Juliet being buried
- Balthasar then tells Romeo Juliet has died
- Friar John (the one who was supposed to the note to Romeo) is detained and never gets the note to Romeo
- Romeo races back to Verona, but stops to get some poison from an apothecary
- Romeo tells Balthasar that he wants to see Juliet one last time and get a ring from her
- Paris is laying flowers at Juliet's tomb when he hears Romeo - he sends his servant for help thinking that Romeo is there to desecrate the tomb
- Paris and Romeo fight - Paris dies
- Romeo drags him into the Capulet's tomb
- Romeo drinks the poison and dies
- The Friar shows up; Juliet wakes up and finds Romeo dead
- The Friar leaves her because he is afraid of being caught
- Juliet then stabs herself
Day 5 - EARLY MORNING
- Lord Montague tells everyone that Lady Montague has died from a broken heart
- The Friar tells everyone his part in their marriage and their deaths
- Romeo left a letter explaining how he fell in love with Juliet and couldn't imagine living without her and confirms everything that the Friar said.
- The two families ended their feud
- The Capulets gave Lord Montague Juliet's dowry
- Lord Montague is going to erect a statue of Juliet
- The are going to bury Romeo and Juliet together
Know the following vocabulary:
- Dramatic Foil
- Round Characters
- Flat Characters
- Static Characters
- Dynamic Characters
- Tragic Flaw
- Dramatic Irony
- Oral Tradition
- Direct Address