Royal Decree Family Newsletter
Meet the Principal
It is a privilege to serve as the new DGS principal. This is my fourteenth year in education including seven years in administration and teaching kindergarten, first grade, and Bright Futures. I have a Bachelors of Science degree in Early Childhood Education from Toccoa Falls College in Georgia and a Masters in Educational Leadership from Western Illinois University.
I am originally from outside of Chattanooga, TN but have lived in the Peoria area for eight years. I live in Dunlap with my husband, Jon (a Dunlap grad), and our four children: Arianna, Joanna, Aaron, and Luke. They also attend Dunlap Schools. When we aren’t at school, we enjoy spending time outdoors and hiking.
I look forward to partnering with you and creating an engaging, supportive and fun learning environment where every student of our Royal family can succeed each day!
Dunlap Water Tower
Class List Information
You will be able to view your child’s teacher and bus information through Parent PowerSchool on Wednesday, Aug. 9th at 4:00 p.m. For new families including kindergarten, a letter was mailed to you containing Parent PowerSchool access information and instructions. If you need any assistance, please contact our office at 309-243-7772.
Open House (Parents and Students)
All students and parents are invited to meet their teachers and visit the classrooms prior to the start of school. Buses will be available to meet the drivers. Students are encouraged to bring their school supplies. Please report directly to your child's classroom.
Monday, August 14
ECE/Kindergarten Open House
1st - 5th Open House
2022-2023 Yearbook Distribution
*Outstanding forms/fees can be dropped off in the office.
DGS Teachers 2023-2024
ECE: Mrs. WeissKindergarten: Mrs. Gunter (KG) and Mrs. Bremer (KB)
1st grade: Mrs. Workheiser (1W) and Mrs. Engelbarts (1E)
2nd grade: Mrs. Snodgrass (2S) and Mrs. Gonzalez (2G)
3rd grade: Mrs. Lanser (3L) and Mrs. Kraushaar (3K)
4th grade: Mrs. Piper (4P) and Mrs. Erwin (4E)
5th grade: Mrs. Schneider (5S) and Mrs. Denniston (5D)
Resource: Mrs. Sivertsen
Resource: Miss Brooks
ESL - Mr. Kijowski
PE - Mr. Carter and Mr. Rankin
Art - Mr. Wright
Music - Mrs. Walker
World Language - Mrs. Rivera
Wednesday - 7:39 a.m. - 2:15 p.m.
Students can be dropped off starting at 7:25. There is no supervision of the students before this time. Students arriving after 7:39 will be marked as tardy. All tardies are considered unexcused unless the student is arriving late due to a medical/dental appointment.
The State of Illinois requires schools to participate in yearly safety drills. The drills are reviewed and practiced with our Royals in a non-threatening and age-appropriate way.
August 18, 2023
August 22, 2023
September 1, 2023 with the fire department present
Lock Down/Safety Drill:
- August 29, 2023
Severe Weather Drill
August 23, 2023
March 1, 2024
- October 2023
Required Health Records/Medication Forms
Dental forms for students entering 2nd grade are due on or before Oct. 15.
- For ALL medications that will be administered to students during the school day, a medication form must be completed.
- All prescription AND over-the counter medications require a physician's signature on the medication form and medications must be in the original package or bottle.
Please contact the front office to obtain a copy of the medication forms or if you have any questions.
During Back to School Night on August 14th, you may drop off completed paperwork with medication or pick up blank medication forms to be completed at the office.
Morning Arrival Procedures
Due to congestion in the parking lot in the mornings, it is important to maintain consistent flow and drop off procedures. Please note these morning procedures:
- All buses will drop off in the back parking lot. Parents will drop off in the circle parking lot in the front of the school.
- All bus riders enter the building through the gym doors. Car and bike riders should enter through the main entrance in the front of the building.
- Students who ride bicycles are to put bikes in the bike rack when they arrive at school. It is strongly recommended that all bikes be locked to the rack. The school is not responsible for bikes left at the rack.
- The earliest students should be dropped off to school is 7:24 a.m.
- Students should be ready with their materials for the day upon pulling up to the entrance and immediately exit the vehicle. It is suggested that students exit vehicles on the passenger side. Parents should remain in their vehicles.
- Please do not pass other vehicles that are dropping off students. This is for the safety of our students.
- Please pull forward when dropping off and picking up students. This may include pulling forward past the entrance of the school building. The areas marked “No Parking” should not be parked on for extended periods of time or when the driver exits the vehicle, but can be crossed as a loading zone.
- If a student requires adult assistance to get out of the vehicle or with supplies (instruments, classroom projects, etc.), please park in a designated parking spot and walk the student across the parking lot to not hinder traffic flow.
- Please be cognizant of other drivers and families that may be behind you. If your student requires additional time to exit the vehicle, please pull forward into a parking spot.
- Front doors will be locked beginning at 7:39 a.m. Students arriving after that time will be marked tardy.
- Illinois State Law prohibits cell phone use on school grounds while operating a motor vehicle.
- When students arrive to school, they will proceed immediately to their classrooms.
- Being on time to school is an important lifelong trait to develop and being on time sets the tone for a positive and productive day for children. Please make every effort to have your child here at school on time each and every day.
- Once a student has arrived at school, he/she may not leave the school grounds without the permission of the office.
Thank you for your assistance in ensuring effective and efficient morning drop-off procedures.
Afternoon Dismissal Procedures
Bus riders will be dismissed through the front doors.
Royals that are being picked up will go with their teachers to the gym and line up. If your Royal is being picked up, that will be done in the rear of the building per the diagram below. To help expedite the process, we encourage you to write your child's names on a piece of paper to show staff at the gate so they can be called. Adults should stay in their vehicles.
If your child requires assistance with a car seat or seat belt, please pull to the side so that we can dismiss the remaining vehicles.
The PTO meets once a month, and they are always looking for new friendly faces to join. Commitment and volunteering can be as little or as much as your schedule allows. The first meeting will be in-person on Tuesday, Sept. 5 at 7:00 p.m.
Visitors and Volunteers
VisitorsIn an effort to maintain the safest environment possible for our children, security measures have been implemented in all buildings throughout the district. All school doors, including the front entrance, will be locked during school hours. Visitors to the school will need to press the buzzer located on the post to the right of the main entrance and wait to be let in by office staff. Upon entering the building, visitors will be asked to present a US government issued ID such as a driver’s license, which can either be scanned or manually entered into our electronic sign in system. Once entry is approved, a badge will be issued that identifies the visitor, the date, and the purpose of his/her visit. Upon exiting the school, visitors will be asked to give their visitors badge to the office staff when checking out. Any classroom visits should be pre-arranged and approved with the classroom teacher ahead of time. We hope our families understand and appreciate our efforts in maintaining a safe school environment.
School volunteers are important to the success of our school district. All volunteers that work with our students, participate in special school events as a volunteer during the school today, or that wish to attend field trips need to have a background check. This needs to only be completed one time during your time in Dunlap. To complete this process,
2. Click on "Job Openings"
3. Select "Volunteer" on the left hand side.
4. Complete the application for volunteering.
5. After you submit the application, you will be emailed a form from the district office. You must print this form and take it to the Regional Office of Education to be fingerprinted.
Welcome Back! The new school year is fast approaching and the Dunlap Food Service department is busy preparing for our students to arrive. Please take a moment to review some important information that will assist you in successfully navigating the food service program.
Many have asked if school meals will be free for school year 2023-2024 since the Healthy School Meals for All (HB2471) passed in May. Legislation has passed both the House and Senate and has been sent to the Governor for his signature. Unfortunately, the bill was not funded for the Fiscal Year 2024 budget and will not be implemented for this school year.
SY 2023-24 School Meal Prices: Elementary $2.50, Middle School $2.70, High School $2.90, Reduced Price Lunch .40 cents, Milk .50 cents each.
Free/Reduced Applications Available August 1, 2023. Apply online using MySchoolsApps.
Special Note: If approved for Free or Reduced meal benefits and your student needs a milk for their lunch brought from home, the student will need to purchase at .50 cents. Milk is only provided with the school meal.
Adding Money to Lunch Accounts: Students (K-5th) bring a check/cash with student's first and last name, class listed on the check or envelope then given to their teacher. Students may also give their lunch money to the cafeteria staff. High school and middle school students can add money as they go through the lunch line using cash or check.
Preferred Payment for all schools, MySchoolbucks.com.
*Please be advised, if you deposit money on your child's account after 9:30 a.m. using MySchoolBucks.com, there's a good chance the deposit will not post to your child's lunch account until after 12:00 p.m.
Food Service Director
Dunlap CUSD #323