Voyager Family News
Silver Strand Elementary School December 3, 2018
Spotlights and Reminders
- Please check our Lost&Found items in the mornings at drop-off and afternoons at pick-up--we will be donating unclaimed items this week.
- Mark your calendars for our Holiday Program, featuring songs from preschoolers through 5th grade and Band and Choir, starting at 10:15 on Wednesday, December 19. We will begin with lower grades and end with upper grades and Band and Choir. More details to follow!
- PTO is sponsoring its annual Holiday Shop for students the week of December 10-14. Your children can shop for holiday gifts on their designated Library special time that week. Your child will come home with an envelope for $ and guidance soon! Thank you, PTO, for this wonderful and generous tradition!
- We had so much fun with pumpkins that we want to adorn our library with Voyager snowpeople! See here for guidelines on making your own snowcreature; they are due December 3: https://strand.coronadousd.net/news/make-a-holiday-snowman/
- LUNCH WITH YOUR THIRD GRADER IS FRIDAY! Please check in at the office to join your 3rd grader!
- This week’s theme is HEALTHY HABITS: Remind your children to wash hands with soap often, dress in layers for colder weather, and to sneeze into a tissue or elbow to prevent the spread of germs!
Silver Strand Safety and Security Support from Karen Pierro
Dear Silver Strand Families,
We are proud of our students' and staff members' cooperation during our first lockdown drill. Thank you, all, for helping our students practice safely securing themselves at school.
Our families, students, and staff did an incredible job managing the challenges of stormy weather last Thursday and Friday. We know that drop-off and pick-ups are tricky when more parents/guardians drive their students to school due to weather.
Rainy Day Safety
We are fortunate to live in Southern California where we miss out on most severe winter weather. However, rain/heavy rain is something we do experience and need to prepare for in the upcoming months.
Reminders for school safety during wet weather at drop-off & pick-up times:
1) Morning curbside hosts and adult safety team will still assist with student drop-off/arrival when it is raining. Please follow the usual protocol and traffic patterns to keep things running smoothly.
2) Students will assemble in Strand Hall instead of outside on inclement weather mornings. Please do not drop your children off before 8 a.m. since there will not be adequate supervision.
3) To prevent accidents, please be sure to remind your kids to walk after exiting cars/arriving on campus. Walkways can be very slick with fresh rain!
4) Please be patient during rainy day pick-up! Plan ahead and designate a meeting spot with your kids so they can find you in a safe manner. The roundabout will be more crowded on these rainy days and children will be in a hurry, so safe driving is VERY appreciated.
5) If it is raining or especially windy on any given Friday morning, flagpole assembly will be conducted indoors with announcements from the loudspeaker.
As always, thanks for keeping our school SAFE!
Student Council News
- Student Council is hosting a "Sock it to Me!" Kids' Sock Drive from November 13-December 13. Please bring new socks to donate to the front office and "make someone's feet and heart happy!"
- Student Council will be promoting a week of Holiday Spirit Days starting on Monday, December 17 with Holiday Pajamas! Tuesday: Holiday Hat/Head Gear; Wednesday: Dress for Holiday Show; Thursday: "Deck Your Neck"
- PTO is sponsoring its annual Holiday Shop for students the week of December 10-14. Your children can shop for holiday gifts on the day of their designated Library special time that week. Your child will come home with an envelope for $ and guidance soon! Thank you, PTO, for this wonderful and generous tradition!
Our Voyager Yearbook Needs Your Help!
Enter project number 925811
Thank you to our parent volunteers who put our yearbook together!
THIS WEEK: California Computer Science Education Week
1:45-3:15 PM: Grade Level Meetings
THUR 12/6 2:30-3:30 SST/504s
FRI 12/7 8:10am Friday Flagpole Assembly
3RD GRADE TAKE A PARENT TO LUNCH DAY
Friday Evening~Coronado's Holiday Parade and Festivities~
NEXT WEEK: Holiday Shop in the Library
TUES 12/11: Holiday Shop
THUR 12/13 Holiday Shop
4PM: Board Meeting: Annual Silver Strand Learning Report
FRI 12/14 8:15 Friday Flagpole
Ice Cream Friday
ON THE HORIZON:
December 19: 10:15 AM: Holiday Program
December 17-20 Holiday Spirit Days: Monday: Holiday Pajamas; Tuesday: Holiday Hat/Head Gear; Wednesday: Dress for Holiday Show; Thursday: "Deck Your Neck"
December 21: NO SCHOOL/Winter Break/School Resumes January 7, 2019
Spotlight on Silver Strand Choir!
Thanks to funding from Coronado Schools Foundation, our Silver Strand Choir has hit the road on tour! Here they are performing at the Hotel Del Coronado.
Silver Strand Choir Performs at Loews' Annual Light Up the Night
See the Choir perform next on December 8 at Artisan's Alley!
Spotlight on Silver Strand Choir!
Stay Connected with Silver Strand Elementary School!!
Check out and "like" our Facebook page to see photos of student events and programs! https://www.facebook.com/Silver-Strand-Elementary-School-176775765849277/