Wayne County 4-H
News and Notes - March 14, 2018
4-H Activity Fee Scholarship Applications Due March 15th
4-H Online Enrollment Now Open!
All 4-H members and volunteers must complete enrollment on-line this year. Many clubs are also helping members and volunteers through this process during club meetings.
Here are several resources we have created to help everyone with this new process:
- Help Page on our website: wayne.osu.edu/help
- 2018 Enrollment Instructions
- 4-H Online Log-in Page
- Returning Member and Volunteer Step by Step Video
- New Member Step by Step Video (Note: New members should first contact a club advisor to get permission to join the club before proceeding to the steps listed in the video)
- Club Advisor Log-In to the Club section of 4-HOnline to approve members
Things to Remember when Enrolling Online
We have been tracking common challenges to our volunteers and members. All in all, things are going great! The few calls and emails we have received all seem to have some common problems we want to make sure are dealt with quickly and easily.
- DO NOT USE THE “I NEED TO SETUP A PROFILE,” unless you are a NEW MEMBER. *New volunteers must contact the office to get a login. Any returning volunteers and members should click the “I forgot my password” the first time they log in.
- If member/volunteers are changing clubs, they can quickly do so on their own, they will login to the system and have the opportunity to change their club!
- If a family does not know their email or your club did not receive your email, not a problem submit a ticket, and we will get back to you ASAP!
- Videos are available to see how the enrollment process works. They are available at wayne.osu.edu/help
- When in doubt put a help ticket in, and we will check out your problem! This system has been working well, and we often have responses back within 4 hours. Visit the link to submit a ticket go.osu.edu/need4hhelp
2018 Wayne County 4-H Legacy Dinner Tickets and Sponsorship Opportunities Available
We want to thank the many 4-H alumni, parents, friends, and businesses that have responded to our invitation to attend and/or sponsor our 2nd Annual Wayne County 4-H Legacy Dinner coming up on April 12th.
There is still time to purchase tickets and/or become a sponsor for this year's event if you have not already done so!
Judging Skills to Thriving Careers
Wayne County has several different types of Livestock Judging and Educational Teams. Check out our list of teams and coaches contact information to get involved!
OSU Junior Swine Day
OSU is hosting a Junior Swine Day clinic at the OSU ATI campus on March 24, 2018 from 9 am—3 pm. Topics include Quality Assurance, Meat Science , Animal Evaluation, Nutrition and Show Tips and Tricks. Registration is due March 16th. This is an opportunity for all members to learn something new and get credit for QA!
Club Officer Training - April 3rd
The Junior Leaders and Collegiate 4-H will be holding a training for county club officers on April 3rd from 7:00-9:00 pm at Fisher Auditorium. A great officer team can take your club meetings from average to extraordinary, and we want to help prepare your officers to do just that! Encourage your officers, new and old, to attend!
Wayne County Rural Youth Dance April 14th
Please note the location for the April 14th Rural Youth Dance has been moved to the new Buckeye Agricultural Museum and Education Center at 877 W. Old Lincoln Way (across the street from the fairgrounds).
The Rural Youth Dace will be from 7:30 - 10:30 pm. Admission is $5 and all ages are welcome. No experience necessary. Free lessons for square and line dancing begin at 7 pm. Refreshments served. Stocksdale Band will be providing music. Bring the whole family and come join the fun. Questions? Call Dave or Ann at 330-669-2786.
DairyPalooza Registration Open
The 2018 DairyPalooza will be held April 21st at the Wayne County Faigrounds. Registration is now open and registration forms must be turned in to the Wayne County Extension Office by 4:30 pm March 23rd to have your registration fee paid for by the Dairy Committee.
Check out the video below for highlights of all the exciting things youth can learn and do at DairyPalooza!
Wooster Spring Spectacular Steer and Heifer Show
4-H Shooting Sports Reminders
Reminder for all interested youth: besides safe use of guns and basic archery projects, all shooting sports projects MUST be in combination with a Certified Ohio 4-H Shooting Sports Advisor. For the second year, the NEW shooting sports club is accepting members. To get involved in the club you must contact Miriam Zech at: 330-317-0006.
Volunteer Training PowerPoint
If you attended the February Volunteer Training and were not able to take notes quick enough or would like to view the resources mentioned, the powerpoint is posted on our website at http://go.osu.edu/volPPT.
Summary of 2018 Wayne County Jr. Fair Rule Changes
2018 4-H Fun Fair Update
We are just a few months away from the 3rd Annual 4-H Fun Fair – to be held Saturday, June 9 from 4:00-8:00PM! This year we will have games, prizes, food, a petting zoo, pony rides, a pedal tractor pull for ALL ages, a Chinese auction, raffle, and a silent auction!
Make plans NOW to attend! We are in need of YOUR help to make this event successful!! There are several ways you can help us:
- Donate!! We are looking for donations to use in the raffle and auction. We would like to request that every club donates an item or basket to be used in our auction. Have fun with it!! Pick a theme and gather your items – we will gladly put the basket together for you! Popular items include: apparel, equipment, books, toys, home décor, gift cards in any denomination, sporting event tickets, handmade items or woodworking projects, services such as repairs, lawn care, hair care, etc. We will also gladly accept cash donations to purchase items we need and to help cover expenses. If you would like to make a donation, (or if you would be willing to help the committee gather donations) please email Marie Marty at firstname.lastname@example.org. This year, all donors will be recognized in our event program – the deadline for all donation commitments is May 4th in order to be publicized.
- Volunteer!! It takes hundreds of volunteers to make the Fun Fair successful and we would love your help running a game or serving food. If you or your club is interested in running a game or two, please contact Jen Norman via email at email@example.com. Jen is in charge of setting up the game schedules, so please let her know if you are available to help.
- Raffle Tickets!! We will have raffle tickets available for sale beginning in April.
- Clubs will be contacted about selling raffle tickets, or you may contact Shirley Pittenger via email firstname.lastname@example.org to request tickets. There will be prizes for the top 3 clubs and the top 3 individuals again. Details will be forthcoming on turn-in dates.
- Prizes for the raffle include: 39” Smart TV, Kalahari Getaway for 6 People, Grill & Meat Package, Ohio Light Opera tickets & dinner for 2, as well as MANY baskets!!
This year there will be fewer silent auction items and MORE items in the raffle & Chinese raffle! Hope to see you all there!!!