G.W.T. Weekly Newsletter
January 18 2021
You should have received your child's report card on Friday, January 15th. If your child is virtual, the report card was mailed to the address on file. If you have not received the report card, you may come by the front office to get a copy.
The STAR test results will be sent home this week. The STAR test includes Reading, Math, and CBM (similar to the DIbels test). The purpose of the STAR Reading Test is to pinpoint students' strengths and deficiencies in reading and math and offers specific insight into which areas need improvement. Data from this assessment is used to inform instruction, determine progress, and identify whether a student is meeting the expectations of the state standards. Our goal is for ALL of our students to be BLUE OR GREEN. If you have questions about your child's report, please feel free to contact the front office.
Dates to Remember
January 15- March 1st- OSR Pre-K Registration (see additional information below)
February 15- E Learning Day
Parent At Home Resources
Focus Area: Phonemic Awareness
Phonemic awareness is not the sounding out of words, reading of words, spelling patterns, or words. Rather, it is the foundation for phonics and reading success. Phonemic awareness is the ability to hear and manipulate the sounds in spoken words, and the understanding that spoken words and syllables are made up of sequences of speech sounds.
Ways to practice at home.
1) Nursery Rhymes – Read nursery rhymes to your child and have them help you guess the rhyming word in each sentence.
2) Dr. Seuss Books – Dr. Seuss books are great to read to your child because they are full of rhymes. Read them to your child and have them help you guess the rhyming words.
3) Guess that Beginning Sound – During car trips think of different words to tell your child. See if they can guess what beginning sound they start with.
4) Make a list – Make a pretend shopping list with your child with items that can only begin with a certain sound (C – carrots, corn, cake).
5) Penny Push – Give your child 5 pennies. Place a picture on the table. Have them push up a penny for each sound they hear in the word.
6) Heads, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes – Give your child with 1 – 4 sounds (I, to, cat, dogs) and have them stand and touch their head, shoulders, knees, and toes as they are saying the sounds in the word.
7) Bean Bag Toss – Hand your child 5 bean bags. Give them a word. Have them toss a bean bag in a bucket for each sound they hear in the word. For each bean bag they make in the bucket, they get a point.
8) Phoneme Jump – Place a green, yellow, and red mat on the floor and give your child a word. Have them jump to each mat for each sound they hear in the word.
9) Silly Putty – Give your child some silly putty and a word. Have them stretch the silly putty for each sound they hear in the word.
10) Down By the Bay – Sing the song “Down by the Bay” and have your child come up with their own rhyme at the end (“Have you ever seen a bee drinking some tea?”)
PreK Registration Opens 1/15/21!
PreK Registration opens on January 15th. See below for the link for registration as well as other parent information ( English and Spanish versions). Registration closes on March 1, 2021. A public random selection process will be held on March 2, 2021 at 2:00 p.m. in the school library. More information coming soon!
Second Grade Newsletter
Cyber Tigers Connect!
Hey Cyber Tiger Parents and Students!
Report cards and STAR assessment results will be mailed the week of January 11th. If your address has changed since enrollment, please contact the front office at (256) 389-2940 to update your information.
Please be sure to check the Google Classroom for weekly news and updates. Additional resources will be available soon!
You can still reach us through the virtual email account at email@example.com
Breakfast and Lunch
All students will eat breakfast and lunch free for the remainder of the 2020-2021 school year!!