Family Resource Newsletter
César E. Chávez Elementary School
WELCOME TO OUR FAMILY RESOURCE CENTER
We are very excited for our Family Resource Center and all we will have to offer! Stay tuned and visit this page often!
If you read the March newsletter or called the school office lately you may have noticed that I am no longer the School Secretary. We were fortunate to receive funding to staff a Family Resource Coordinator here at Chávez. Landing this job and being able to focus on families is my dream job!
A little bit about me. I have been working with families for over 16 years, always in conjunction with my other job responsibilities as a secretary.
My passion for doing this kind of work comes from my own childhood. It's not much different from the many families and students we serve here at Chávez. My parents immigrated from Guatemala when I was 4 years old and Spanish was my home language up till I was 11 years old. I learned English in school at a time when there were not any supports for any languages other than English in schools. I reflect on my experience in school (many many years ago!) and feel fortunate that we now have so much to offer to our students and families. And that we have a community that wants to help!
As we build our Family Resource program I will be reaching out to families to get your ideas and suggestions on how we can best support you. Please don't hesitate to reach out if I haven't connected with you yet. You will find my contact information at the top of this newsletter.
I look forward to sharing this space with you when we are able to have families back in the building.
I do hope you stop by and say hi!
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all 4J schools and facilities are closed to volunteers and visitors until further notice. We look forward to seeing our amazing volunteers again, possibly later this school year.
If you'd like to volunteer when we are able to have families in the building please click on the link below and fill out this form. It can take up to 14 days for clearance to volunteer. https://www.4j.lane.edu/hr/volunteers/
Some of the resources we are able to provide
The 4j Wrap Team has worked hard in compiling much needed supports for our families. This is not a complete list.
- Food deliveries for families that don't have transportation
- Connection to counseling programs
- Help with filling out forms to get on housing wait lists
- Bilingual/bi-cultural assistance
- Resource for help with paying utilities
- Clothes for students
- Health resources for families
COUNSELING - MENTAL HEALTH SUPPORT
Ms. Shannon, our school Social Worker, is available to support you and your students. For more intensive or ongoing needs, she can support you in accessing community based services. She can be contacted at 541-790-5383 or email@example.com.
Many of our local mental health resources are also listed below. Also included below is a partial list of crisis and mental health resources for youth and families in our area.
We partner with Roseburg Therapy to offer onsite appointments for students receiving their services during non COVID times. For right now Roseburg Therapy is offering support to families and students through telehealth.
CATHOLIC COMMUNITY SERVICES
We are fortunate in the Eugene community to have CCS available for our families. Some of the resources they have to offer are listed here. If you need assistance with communicating or filling out forms with CCS please let me know.
- Energy Assistance
- Family Support
- Food and Emergency help
- Immigration legal services
- SNAP (food stamp) enrolllment
- Rental assistance
- Cold weather motel shelter program
- Partner agency connections
FOOD BAGS PROVIDED EVERY WEEK FOR UP TO 30 FAMILIES
First United Methodist Church of Eugene partners with Chávez in providing 30 bags of food for individual families every week. This partnership has been going on for several years and we are fortunate to continue this much needed resource. The food bags are delivered to the school every Wednesday after 11:30 am. If you are in need of a food bag please let us know. If you would like to pick one up every week we will add your name to the list, otherwise they are first come first served.
FOOD DELIVERY FROM 4J
Do you have a hard time getting out to pick up groceries? 4j is able to deliver food to your home. Click on link below and fill out the form. If you need help with filling this out please call the school and we can help you.
- Begins Wednesday, March 31
- Youth meal boxes will be delivered on Wednesdays
- Includes breakfast and lunch for up to 7 days (and dinners, when available)
- May select vegetarian, no gluten, or other dietary restrictions or allergen options
- May select reduced-fat milk and/or soy milk options
- Must sign up for delivery, even if previously receiving daily meal delivery
- Meals are for ANY child age 18 and under
- No income requirements apply, and students do not have to qualify for free or reduced-price school meals
- Children do not need to be students in 4J
- Delivery address must be within the Eugene School District boundary, per USDA rules