Voyager Family News
Silver Strand Elementary School Week of May 6, 2019
Spotlights and Reminders
- This week is TEACHER APPRECIATION WEEK! Thank you to our staff at the center of our mission: teaching and learning! It’s also School Nutrition Employee and School Nurse Appreciation! We are so fortunate to have amazing teammates caring for the health and well-being of our students. Thank you, Silver Strand PTO, for treating our staff members this week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday!
- TESTING CONTINUES THIS WEEK! Great job, 3rd-5th graders, showing off all they have learned! Please ensure your children have had a HEALTHY BREAKFAST and are ON TIME AND AT SCHOOL EVERY DAY to avoid having to take makeup tests and miss instruction.
- Save the Date! Our Band and Choir will hold a Spring Concert for families at 9:15 on Thursday, May 30 at 9:15 AM. Please come celebrate our growth in music over the course of the year!
- Our 5th Graders are soon promoting to Middle School! CMS is inviting 5th grade families to their Spring Faire on Wednesday 5/15 at 5 PM! On Friday 5/17 during the school day, SSES 5th Graders will visit CMS for a campus tour and orientation.
CSF Summer Enrichment Camp is back! Registration is now open for Coronado Schools Foundation's 2019 Summer Enrichment Program featuring hands-on STEAM-inspired classes for students, grades TK-12. This educationally focused program offers two, one-week sessions with some classes offered over both weeks. Classes are held from 8:30 to 11:30 am and 12:00 to 3:00 pm with most classes at Village Elementary School. There will be a supervised lunch period from 11:30-12:00 for students taking both morning and afternoon classes. Most classes are taught by credentialed Coronado Unified teachers with Steve Reiss, a local expert, teaching SAT/ACT and Excelsior Chess offering Chess Camp. Class sizes are small with experienced teachers at the helm, planning and executing the curriculum. Registration is now open! Register by May 15th to save $20 off each class!
Coronadoenrichment.org to register now!
This week’s theme is REVIEW: Our students taking state tests are encouraged to go back and REVIEW AND REVISE their work. How do we teach students what to pay attention to? Reading writing aloud helps students catch missing words. Help students edit and peer edit by drawing their attention to key components: supporting details, punctuation marks, capital letters, etc. And remind them of the math tricks that help them check answers.
Military Spouse Appreciation!
Come Celebrate all your hard work BECAUSE YOU SERVE TOO!!
When: Friday May 10th following Flagpole Assembly
Where: Strand Hall
Who: All Active, Retired, and Veteran Military Spouses
What: We’ll be serving a hot breakfast!
Hosted by: Amiee Gillig, School Liaison Officer and Gia Del George, Silver Strand’s Military Family Life Counselor (MFLC)
Please RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, May 6th, 2019
Can’t wait to see you there!!
To celebrate the Coronado home front, the City of Coronado and Naval Base Coronado are honoring local military spouses of active duty and veterans with a free base tour and lunch on Friday, May 10. Interested military spouses should call the City at 619-522-7300 to be placed on the reservation list as space is limited. The event will begin in Speckles Park in Coronado at 10am and last approximately 4 hours with lunch on the base. The tour will include light walking. The bus tour will be narrated and hosted by Navy personnel with visits planned for Coronado military installations.
Safety Updates from Karen Pierro
May is bicycle safety month!
We welcome the large number of student & adult cyclists who ride to our school each day. We want to keep these riders safe, so here are a few bicycle safety reminders to review and discuss at home:
Always Wear A Helmet!
Wearing a helmet that fits well every time you're on a bike helps protect your face, head, and brain if you fall down. Wear a bike helmet every time you ride, even if you're going for a short ride. In addition, be sure to follow these rules:
- Make sure your bike helmet fits you well.
- Always wear your helmet the right way so it will protect you: Make sure it covers your forehead and don't let it tip back. Always fasten the straps.
- Don't wear a hat under your helmet.
- Get a new helmet if you fall while you're on your bike and hit your head.
- Put reflective stickers on your helmet so drivers can see you better.
Rules of the Road for Cyclists
If you're allowed to ride on the street, follow these road rules for staying safe:
- Always ride with your hands on the handlebars.
- Always stop and check for traffic in both directions when leaving your driveway, an alley, or a curb.
- Cross at intersections! When you pull out between parked cars, drivers can't see you coming.
- Walk your bike across busy intersections (like at school!) using the crosswalk and following traffic signals.
- Ride on the right-hand side of the street, so you travel in the same direction as cars do. Never ride against traffic.
- Use bike lanes wherever you can.
- Don't ride too close to parked cars. Doors can open suddenly.
- Stop at all stop signs and obey traffic (red) lights just as cars do.
- Ride single-file on the street with friends.
- When passing other bikers or people on the street, always pass to their left side, and call out "On your left!" so they know that you are coming.
Student Council News
We have some exciting plans to celebrate the end of testing--stay tuned for more information!
Thank you to our amazing PTO for hosting another incredible annual Luau! We appreciate the opportunity to celebrate our special community while raising funds for our school!
Thank you for appreciating our staff this week and all year long!
NEXT PTO MEETING IS THURSDAY, MAY 9 AT 8:15 AM
Coronado School Foundation Events and Updates
Summer Enrichment is back!
Registration is now open for Coronado Schools Foundation's 2019 Summer Enrichment Program featuring hands-on STEAM-inspired classes for students, grades TK-12.
This educationally focused program offers two, one-week sessions with some classes offered over both weeks. Classes are held from 8:30 to 11:30 am and 12:00 to 3:00 pm with most classes at Village Elementary School. There will be a supervised lunch period from 11:30-12:00 for students taking both morning and afternoon classes.
Most classes are taught by credentialed Coronado Unified teachers with Steve Reiss, a local expert, teaching SAT/ACT and Excelsior Chess offering Chess Camp. Class sizes are small with experienced teachers at the helm, planning and executing the curriculum.
Registration is now open! Register by May 15th to save $20 off each class!
Coronadoenrichment.org to register now!
Did you know that the Coronado Schools Foundation supports the Silver Strand Band, Choir, Science Lab, Visual and Performing Arts Programs, Technology Resource Teacher, Library, and academic support teachers? CSF brings STEAM to Silver Strand Elementary! Support our programs through donations to CSF here: https://csfkids.org/
Calendar of Upcoming School Events
THIS WEEK: TEACHER/SCHOOL NUTRITION/SCHOOL NURSE APPRECIATION
MON 5/6: CAASPP Testing in the AM
TUES 5/7: CAASPP Testing in the AM
WED 5/8: CAASPP Testing in the AM
PTO Staff Luncheon
THUR 5/9: CAASPP Testing in the AM
Kindergarten Field Trip
8:15: PTO Meeting
FRI 5/10: Friday Flagpole
MilSpouse Appreciation Day Breakfast
CAASPP Testing in the AM
SAT 5/11: 8-Noon: Arts Extravaganza at SSES (Prior registration required)
MON 5/13: CAASPP Makeup Testing in the AM
TUES 5/14: CAASPP Makeup Testing in the AM/CAST Testing
WED 5/15: CAASPP Makeup Testing in the AM/CAST Testing
3:00-4 PM: School Site Council (SPSA Approval)
5PM: Spring Faire at CMS (5th Grade Families invited)
THUR 5/16: CAASPP Makeup Testing in the AM
4PM: School Board Meeting: Teacher of the Year Recognition
FRI 5/17: Friday Flagpole
5th Grade Visit to CMS
ON THE HORIZON:
5/21: Sanford Harmony Visit
5/22: BizTown Interviews
5/27: No School/Memorial Day
5/30: Band and Choir Concerts
Coronado SAFE Events and Activities
Coronado SAFE supports healthy families and children through workshops/"coffee talks," school programs, speakers, and counseling.
See https://coronadosafe.org/ for more information and to register for upcoming events.
Silver Strand Elementary School is SO fortunate to have the full-time services of our very own MFLC (Military Family Life Counselor), Gia Del George! Our MFLC is available to help students through the emotions and transitions associated with military life. If your family is facing separation due to deployment, or any transitions or challenges, please contact Ms. Gia at MFLC.Strand@coronadousd.net.
And please encourage your child to visit our Connections Room during lunch recess, open to military and non-military students alike in grades 1-5 on M, W, F! The Connections Room has the following activities on these days:
Monday: Board Games
Wednesday: Military Kids Club (MKC) ALL are welcomeFriday: Dance and Sing
For information about military-sponsored activities for youth, visit the Fleet and Family Services website here.
Stay Connected with Silver Strand Elementary School!!
Check out and "like" our Facebook page to see photos of student events and programs! https://www.facebook.com/Silver-Strand-Elementary-School-176775765849277/