By Orlando Coronado Martinez
1.Rules for the addition of two integers.
“The sum of any integer and its opposite is equal to zero. Summary: Adding two positive integers always yields a positive sum; adding two negative integers always yields a negative sum. To find the sum of a positive and a negative integer, take the absolute value of each integer and then subtract these values.”
- Example of adding a positive and negative where the sum is positive.
+7 and -4= 3
- Example of adding a positive and a negative where the sum is negative.
Find the sum of -9 and +5= -4
- Example of adding two positives.
- Example of adding two integers.
2. Rules for subtracting integers.
“To subtract integers, change the sign on the integer that is to be subtracted. If both signs are positive, the answer will be positive. If both signs are negative, the answer will be positive. If both signs are negative, the answer will be negative. Aiaf both signs are different subtract the smaller absolute value from the larger absolute value.”
- Example of subtracting a positive and negative where the difference is positive.
- Example of subtracting a positive and negative where the difference is negative.
- Example of subtracting two negatives.
- Example of subtracting two positives.
3. Rules for multiplying and dividing integers.
The rules for multiplying and dividing is very similar to the rule for adding and subtracting.
When the signs are different the answer is negative.
When the signs are the same the answer is positive.
- Examples of multiplying a negative and a positive.
-2 x 2= -4
- Example of multiplying a negative and a negative.
-2 x -2= 4
- Example of multiplying a positive and a positive.
2 x 2 = 4
- Example of dividing a negative and a positive.
- Example of dividing a negative and a negative.
- Example of dividing a positive and a positive.
4. Explain the definition of absolute value
The magnitude of a real number without regard to its sign.
- Examples of absolute value
5. Problems of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of integers for other people to solve.
In buffalo New York, the temperature was 14 F in the morning. If the temperature dropped 7 F what is the temperature now?
Lilly bought 4 pairs of blue jeans at $32 each. How much money did she pay the clerk?
A submarine was situated 450 feet below sea level. If it descends 300 feet, what is its new position?