Elizabethtown Area Senior Center
Heartfelt Wellness: Celebrating Heart Health Month & Valentine's Day
Welcome, to the February edition of our newslettter, this month our focus is "Heartfelt Wellness." As we embrace the month of love and wellness, we're excited to share a heartwarming blend of activities aimed at promoting heart health and celebrating the spirit of Valentine's Day. Our calendar is filled with engaging events, including two special heart health activities, a delightful Valentine's craft and party, and the rhythmic joy of a group joining us to play the vibrant Boom Whackers. In addition to these festivities, we're thrilled to announce the continuation of our "On This Day" programs every Thursday, offering a journey through cherished moments. Plus, we're introducing a new program called "Fast Find," where seniors can challenge their minds and eyes. Let's come together to cherish our well-being, create lasting memories, and spread the love throughout our community. Join us on this journey of heart-centered activities and joyful connections!
Join Us In February
· February 1: We will be celebrating the first day of Heart Health month with some fun heart trivia. Join us at 11:30 for trivia and heart health treat.
· February 2: We will be reminiscing "The Day the Music Died", remembering the Bubby Holly and his music.
· February 6: Let's Chat with Lisa from the OOA. Lisa will be her to conduct a third party survey and chat about your satisfaction with the senior center.
· February 8: One this day: Off with Her Head: We will be talking about the beheading of Queen Mary, as well as other English monarchs.
· February 12: Valentine's Craft: Join us for a cute heart based craft to celebrate Valentine's day.
· February 14: We will be celebrating all things love with our Valentine's party. We will have serve fun finger foods and will be playing some fun active games and some trivia as well.
· February 21: Join us for a Boom Whacker performance from the group This Way Up. They will be bringing fun beats and songs for us to enjoy.
· February 26: Fast Find Grocery Store Ads: We will be racing to do a scavenger hunt through grocery store ads. This will challenge your eyes and your brain.
· February 28: Chicken Soup from Around the World: We will be taking a look comfort food from various cultures. We will also be sampling several of them.
· February 29: Leap Year Trivia: 2024 is one day longer. Join us for a fun day of trivia and interesting on this day trivia.
· February 14 and 28- Chair Exercise with Judy: Please note the date change for this month.
Mark these dates on your calendar and be part of the February Fun.
Calling all craft enthusiasts! Join us on Wednesday, February 21, at 1:30 PM for an exciting Craft Club session where we'll explore the art of creating hand-stamped cards. Unleash your creativity as we gather together to design personalized cards that convey warmth and thoughtfulness. Whether you're a seasoned crafter or trying your hand at it for the first time, our friendly atmosphere and expert guidance will make this an enjoyable experience for all. The Craft Club is not just about crafting; it's about bonding, laughter, and the joy of creating something beautiful together. Mark your calendars, grab your artistic spirit, and let's make this Craft Club session on February 21 at 1:30 PM a memorable celebration of creativity and connection!
Sweetening the Season: Chocolate Egg Fundraiser
As we dive into the delightful season of Easter, we are thrilled to announce our Chocolate Egg Fundraiser, and we invite you to be a part of this sweet initiative! There are three ways you can contribute and join us in spreading joy:
1. Donations Needed for the Eggs: To make this fundraiser a success, we're seeking donations of essential ingredients - butter, powdered sugar, and, if preferred, cash contributions to purchase the finest melting chocolate. Your support in providing these items ensures that each chocolate egg is crafted with love and quality.
2. Hands-on Help in Crafting: Join us on Tuesday and Thursday mornings throughout February and March to lend a hand in the egg-making process. Your creative touch and camaraderie will not only make this fundraising endeavor enjoyable but also contribute to the success of our sweet cause.
3. Place Your Orders: Starting the week of February 20 you can place your orders for these delectable chocolate eggs. Choose either milk chocolate or dark chocolate. Priced at $2 each, these delightful treats are perfect for gifting or indulging in a sweet moment for yourself. Your support through orders directly contributes to the success of our fundraising efforts.
Let's come together to make this Chocolate Egg Fundraiser a celebration of community, generosity, and the joy that comes from sharing something sweet. Thank you for your support and sweetening the season with us!
Central Penn Food Offers Nutrition Classes
Join us for a 4-part Nutrition Series on Tuesday afternoons in February at 2 pm. Maryann Smith, Nutrition Educator from Central Pennsylvania Food Bank will be teaching the class. Those who attend all four classes will be entered to win a prize. Registration is preferred but not required.
We will be covering the following topics:
Feb. 6: Reading a Nutrition Facts Label
Feb 13: Spotlight on Sodium
Feb 20: Focus on Fats
Feb 27: Too Sweet - The Lowdown on Added Sugars in Your Diet
Call the senior center for more information or to register.
Navigating Tax Season: VITA Program Assistance
As tax season approaches, we understand that navigating through the intricacies of income taxes can be a bit overwhelming. While we don't offer tax help directly at the senior center, we want to ensure that our community members have the support they need. That's why we encourage seniors to take advantage of the VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) program, available through the United Way.
For personalized assistance with your income taxes, simply dial 211, and you'll be connected to the VITA program. Knowledgeable volunteers are ready to provide guidance, answer questions, and help you through the tax preparation process. Your financial well-being matters to us, and we want to make sure you have access to the resources that can make tax season a little more manageable. Reach out to 211 and let the VITA program assist you in ensuring a smooth and stress-free tax experience.
Lunch Delight on February 28: Stumpy Hot Dog Shack Lunch-In
As February gracefully bids us farewell, we are delighted to end the month on a delicious note with a special lunch event on February 28. We've teamed up with Stumpy Hot Dog Shack to bring you a delectable array of mouthwatering options. For those who place their orders, we'll be bringing the flavorful feast right back to the senior center. Picture the warmth and camaraderie as we gather together, sharing delightful conversations over a meal crafted with care. It's an opportunity to savor not just the food but also the company of our cherished community. Don't miss out on this tasty experience – place your order and join us for a heartwarming lunch on the 28th!
Menu can be found below. All orders must be place by February 27.
During 2023, we will have a monthly meeting of our Advisory Council. This month we had 9 representatives attend our meeting. We have 0 open seats.
January's meeting was canceled becasue of the weather.
If you have any suggestions for the current year or next year please seek out a council member, Jess, Wayne or Julissa. The current members of Advisory Council are:
· Lee Salter
· Ann Salter
· Dianna Pirkle
· Vaughn Jennings
· Donald Mowbray
· Sandy Long
· Lois Lynn
· Mary Keener
· Cindy Rhan
- Lynda Bender
Join Us For Afternoon Bingo!
Afternoon Bingo will be held on February 7 Doors open at 1:20 pm, bingo starts at 1:45 pm. We will play 2 hours of bingo, with a 15 minute intermission in the middle. Cost to play is $10. Light refreshments will be provided. Prizes include snack items, nuts, fresh fruits and veggies, and puzzle books.
Do not miss the fun!
Phone: (717) 367-7984
Connect with us on Facebook: Search 'Elizabethtown Area Senior Center'
Jess Raush, Director
Wayne Bream, Assistant
Julissa Rivera-Santa, Assistant
This program is funded, in part, under an Agreement with money allocated by the PA Dept. of Aging and the Lancaster Co. Office Of Aging. A community service of GEARS.