By: Brendan H.
What are the signs or symptoms?
- intense anxiety in social situations
- avoidance of social situations
- confusion, pounding heart, sweating, shaking, blushing, muscle tension, upset stomach, and diarrhea.
Another name for Social Phobia is Social Anxiety
How Does it Affect Someone's Life?
Someone living with social phobia would experience fear of making a fool out of themselves and depression from being insecure. This includes being afraid of rejection or not fitting in.
How is Social Anxiety Diagnosed?
- Perform a physical exam to determine if there may be any physical causes triggering your symptoms
- Ask you to describe your signs and symptoms, how often they occur and in what situations
- Review a list of situations to see if they make you anxious
- Have you fill out psychological questionnaires to help pinpoint a diagnosis
How Is Social Phobia Treated?
- Paxil (medication)
- Zoloft (medication)
- taking anti-depressants
- taking anti-anxiety medications
- taking beta-blockers