Information and Inspiration From Your District of Choice
January 18, 2019
Dr. Roberts Shares Second Semester Start with AM Columbus
BCSC is off to a great start to its second semester. There are many new and exciting events coming up as well as opportunities to continue our first semester work. In this first BCSC 360 of 2019, we will be sharing a recent interview that Dr. Roberts participated in with one of our community partners, White River Broadcasting's 1010 WCSI. You will also have the chance to watch highlights of the most recent School Board meeting at L.C. Schmitt Elementary. Finally, we will invite you to a few community-wide events coming up in the near future.
January 14th BCSC School Board Highlights
L.C. Schmitt Elementary Hosts First School Board Meeting in 2019
On January 14th, L.C. Schmitt Elementary hosted our BCSC School Board Meeting. If you were not able to attend in person, it is our hope, that through the highlight video above, you will be more informed about the decisions made that impact our students, staff, and buildings.
Here are some of the meeting highlights:
1. Principal Kaity Day and two students welcomed us to the School Board Meeting by affirming our BCSC Mission and Vision and High Expectation Objectives as well as providing information about Schmitt Elementary.
2. Our BCSC School Board Attorney Chris Monroe administered the oath of office to four School Board Members, including new member Dr. Julie Bilz.
3. Dr. Jill Shedd was selected as the 2019 BCSC School Board President.
4. BCSC School Board Members were approved to various community boards, councils, and committees. (Full list can be seen on BCSC website.)
5. Bartholomew Consolidated School Foundation (BCSF) was recognized for their successful fundraising efforts to benefit our teachers and students in 2018. Lightning grants were also introduced as a future way to provide funds for teachers outside of the regular grant cycle. For more information, visit BCSF's website or contact Executive Director, Suzi Bruin.
6. Nick Williams, Director of Technology, provided information on Wi-Fi Updates for Secondary Schools.
7. Chad Phillips, Assistant Superintendent for Business Services, provided information on extra-curricular funds, 2019 Tax Anticipation Warrants, and Distressed Unit Appeal Board (DUAB) fiscal indicators.
If you would like to attend the next BCSC School Board Meeting, we will be meeting January 28, 2019 at L.C. Schmitt Elementary School (6:30pm).
Coming Up Next For BCSC
BCSC EBL Announcement
Saturday, Jan. 19th, 11am
1400 25th Street
You're invited to the 2019 BCSC EBL Championships and Cheer Day! For the boys championship, Southside will host Richards at 11am. For the girls championship, Mt. Healthy will host Parkside at 12:30pm. EBL Cheer Day starts at 4pm.
With winter weather moving into the area again this Saturday, 1/19, we want to communicate our plans in advance. We plan to have EBL championship basketball games and Elementary Cheer Day as scheduled on Saturday at Columbus North High School. In the event of a postponement of the basketball games due to weather, a message will be posted to the EBL website by 9:00am. If weather conditions worsen throughout the day and Cheer Day needs to be postponed, that message will be posted and announced by 1:00pm.
If the basketball games are postponed, they will be held on Tuesday, January 22 at Columbus East High School beginning at 6:00pm, with the boys playing first, followed by the girls’ game.
If Cheer Day is postponed, it will be held on Thursday, January 24 at Columbus North High School beginning at 6:15pm.
Martin Luther King Jr. Day Breakfast
Monday, Jan. 21st, 7am
300 Washington Street
To honor the life of Dr. King, please join us on Monday, January 21st at 7:00am at The Commons for the Martin Luther King Jr. Day breakfast. This is a community breakfast so please bring your family and friends. Frank Mickens from CBS4 Morning News will be the keynote speaker at this year's event. Superintendent Dr. Jim Roberts will be speaking, as well. (BCSC Schools will not be in session.)
Stay Connected with BCSC
BCSC on Facebook/Instagram/Twitter
You can now follow school events, photos, and updates on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. As the district of choice, it is important that we promote all the wonderful things that are happening in our school corporation. Please help us spread the word!