Tison Roo News 2015-16
Week of February 29 - March 4
UPCOMING TISON EVENTS
Monday, Feb. 29 -- Tison Registration Fair @ 6:30 PM inside the Tison Cafeteria /8th grade Registration for Mr. Whitehead's classes (1-3 periods only)
Wednesday, Mar. 2 -- 8th grade Registration for Mr. Whitehead's classes (5-6 periods only)
Thursday, Mar. 3 -- Track Meet @ Joshua High School (Joshua, TX) for both 7th & 8th grade boys & girls / 8th grade Registration for Ms. Fowler's classes (1-2, 4 periods only)
Friday, Mar. 4 -- 8th Grade Registration for Ms. Fowler's classes (5-6 periods only)
Tuesday, Mar. 8 -- Tison Tennis vs. Hall @ the NGC (games starting at 4:00 PM)
TRAFFIC LAWS AND SCHOOL SAFETY ZONES REMINDER
Weatherford ISD is committed to providing a safe environment for our Kangaroo family and reminds everyone that it's particularly important to obey traffic laws and drive safely in school zone areas.
If you drive to school, through a school zone, or in neighborhoods near a school, be sure to follow these safety tips to keep all members of our community safe:
- Please abide by the cell phone law. Texas drivers cannot use cell phones in school zone areas unless the car is stopped or the phone is used with a hands-free device.
- Drivers with learner's permits are prohibited from using handheld cell phones in the first six months of driving.
- Drivers under the age of 18 are prohibited from using wireless communications devices.
- Look both ways for pedestrians and bicyclists before moving forward in the drop-off and pick-up zones.
- Obey the 20 mph speed limit in all school zones and 10 mph in school parking lots.
- Be patient during drop-off and pick-up if you drive your student to school or drive near a school.
- Yield to pedestrians at all intersections.
- Be aware of students where there are no sidewalks along the road and when backing out of school parking lots.
- Watch for younger and less predictable children who may dart into the road.
- Stop and wait for school buses when red lights are flashing.
Thank you for helping us provide for safe student travel near all Weatherford ISD schools.
IF YOU'D LIKE TO PURCHASE A "ROO SHOUT OUT" IN THE 2015-16 TISON YEARBOOK, PLEASE FILL OUT THE APPLICATION, WHICH CAN BE FOUND AT https://docs.google.com/a/weatherfordisd.com/document/d/1pbkMpnf-LSNVE1Wgyht0nP9mKOlV-rPpfFxEDaiU9LE/edit?usp=sharing.
How to submit your "Roo Shout Out" application (DEADLINE IS FRIDAY, MARCH 11, 2016)
- You can deliver this form and payment directly to Mrs. Fenton (cash or check made out to Tison MS)
- You can email this filled out form to email@example.com. The form cannot be processed until payment is received.
- Payment can be dropped off in the front office with all necessary information included.
**To add a picture, search for BALFOUR IMAGE SHARE in your app marketplace, download the free app, and enter our project number 606340 and password Tison**
Tison All-Stars competed at the Danceline Classic State Championship on Saturday, February 20th
This is the 7th consecutive year that Weatherford has come away GRAND CHAMPIONS!!!
Anita Jefferson Conley Award (Leadership) -- Captain Alexis Sprunger
3rd place Pirouettes (beating mostly high school dancers) -- Captain Alexis Sprunger
Solo Costume Award & Division One Solo -- Captain Alexis Sprunger
FIRST PLACE officer pom
FIRST PLACE team novelty
FIRST PLACE team prop
Platinum Sweepstakes (scores of 95 or above on all routines)
AND THE BEST OF ALL...THIRD PLACE OVERALL -- This award does not separate by age level. There were over 30 teams at the competition and only 4 middle school teams. They only award the top three teams of the day. To get this award as a middle school is HUGE!!!
COLLEGE ACADEMY - A PARTNERSHIP BETWEEN WISD & WEATHERFORD COLLEGE
The College Academy provides Weatherford ISD students opportunities to take as few as one or as many as 20 college courses, earning college credit while working toward high school graduation.
For more information, click on the PDF link below:
COLLEGE ACADEMY REGISTRATION & CHECKLIST
PARENTS OF 8th GRADE STUDENTS! Registration is currently open for the College Academy as well as the TSI (Texas Success Initiative) Test. Below is a checklist of items to be done in order to successfully admit your student into the College Academy program:
- Sign up for the TSI Test by February 29th. To sign up, go to: https://docs.google.com/a/weatherfordisd.com/forms/d/1FCrA5o6McP58ezQT0IJx7hXeAfP7cPf62HqaqpwRuIk/viewform?c=0&w=1
- Complete the pre-test checklist for TSI (prior to March 5). For checklist, go to: http://tinyurl.com/pre-TSIchecklist
- Apply to college via ApplyTexas @ https://www.applytexas.org/adappc/gen/c_start.WBX
- Successfully complete Reading portion of TSI (offered at WHS on March 5th)
- Register for classes at the Ninth Grade Center (late March)
- Arrange for tuition payments
2015-2016 ACADEMIC UIL PARTICIPANTS
7TH GRADE UIL ACADEMIC PARTICIPANTSPictured above (left to right, top to bottom): E'myah Jones; Braden Carter; Tex E'jere; TMS student; Dalton Gates; Emily Hartman; Sam Fowlkes; Michael Jennett; Luke Bagwell; Kara Eader; Reagan Lee; BriAnna Lorenz; Ruben Ooms; Simon Bracken; Hunter Welborn; Alexis Rodriguez; Callan Neal; Chris Carney
8TH GRADE UIL ACADEMIC PARTICIPANTSPictured above (left to right, top to bottom): TMS student; Jacob Munnell; Jenna Cordell; Connor Bezio; TMS student; Breanna Sarslow; Elise Perry; McKenna Buchfink; TMS student; Morgan Anderson; Cole Patterson; Chloe Greensweight; Caroline Mitchell; Sara Osborne; TMS student; Kayla Host; Bailey Figueroa; Bradley Slovak; James Scott; Hayden Johnson; Camille Fournier; Alexis Sprunger; Megan Mitchell; TMS student; Chesney Grant
STUDENT SPOTLIGHT -- 20 QUESTIONS IN 60 SECONDS
Jacob Munnell, 8th grader
In order to get to know Jacob a little better, he completed a "20 Questions in 60 Seconds" questionnaire. Below are his answers:
1. Do you have any brothers or sisters?
Yes, a sister
2. Do you have any pets?
A dog named Kali
3. If you could have the perfect birthday party, what would it be?
It would be at a Diamondbacks game with my family and friends
4. What is your favorite food?
5. What is your favorite kind of candy?
6. What is your favorite color?
7. What is your favorite zoo animal?
8. What do you want to be when you get older?
A mechanical engineer because i want to explore the fields of math and science and see what it's all about.
9. What is one thing you don't know how to do that you wish you did?
Play a guitar
10. What is your favorite thing to study at school?
11. What do you like to do for fun?
Play baseball and basketball
12. Do you prefer to spend your time inside or outside?
13. What do you like to do as soon as you get home from school?
14. What is your favorite TV show?
Gravity Falls because its funny
15. What is your favorite movie? Why?
16. What is the best toy that you ever had?
17. What is your favorite restaurant?
18. Who has the best kids' meal toys right now?
19. What is your favorite book?
20. What is your favorite video game?
CONNECT WITH TISON ON TWITTER!
Just search for and then "follow" the following:
@tisonprincipal (Principal, Carrie Harrison)
@WeatherfordDad (Assistant Principal, Trace Craft)
@LisaEdmunds (Assistant Principal, Lisa Edmunds)
@1LBaird (Keyboarding teacher, Laura Baird)
@belledirector (Tison All Stars/WHS Blue Belles Director, Laura Buckner)
@MrsFentonTMS (7th grade Math & yearbook teacher, Leslie Fenton)
@Profe_Ferrell (Spanish teacher & NJHS co-sponsor, Kym Ferrell)
@mrsafowler (Texas History teacher, Amanda Fowler)
@coachgommert (7th grade Science teacher & coach, Colton Gommert)
@tisonlibrary (Librarian, Leah Greer)
@MharrisScience (7th grade Science teacher, Melissa Harris)
@AndreaHayward3 (8th grade Math teacher, Andrea Hayward)
@KerfootSylvia (STACI aide, Sylvia Kerfoot)
@ErinLight3 (7th grade ELA teacher & Tennis coach, Erin Light)
@SimplyDramaStac (Theater Arts teacher, Stacey Mitchell)
@wmohr8 (8th grade Math teacher, Wendy Mohr)
@mattnovikoff (Inclusion/Math Resource Teacher, Matt Novikoff)
@stpatterson11 (8th grade ELA teacher & cheerleading sponsor)
@smilesas8 (8th grade Science teacher, Sally Scott)
@ToniScience (8th grade Science teacher & NJHS co-sponsor, Toni Smith)