Dear Families and Caregivers,
We love having your children at school all school year!
This is the time of year when winter weather takes a toll on school attendance. Snow and ice can make it hard to get your children to school. So can illnesses such as colds, flu, fevers, earaches and Covid-19.
These absences, even if they are excused, break the routine of daily attendance that contributes to students feeling connected and engaged in learning. Please consider these steps to keep your children healthy and in school this winter.
1. Develop back up plans for getting your children to school. Check who can give your children a ride if they miss the bus.
2. If your children get sick or you are concerned about Covid or the flu, talk to your child’s medical provider or the school nurse Shannon for advice.
3. Stomach pain and headaches can be signs of anxiety and may not be reasons for keeping a child home. If you feel that anxiety or stress is playing a role, talk to the School Social Worker, Cindy Lambert for support.
4. Encourage children to wash their hands before and after eating and after using the restroom.
5. Avoid sharing cups and utensils with other individuals.
6. Dress your children for the cold weather. If you need help with winter clothing, call the School Social Worker Cindy Lambert.
7. Encourage healthy habits such as getting enough sleep, eating healthy foods, drinking fluids and getting exercise.
Let us know how we can help you. If you’re having trouble, need resources or advice, please call us at 317-259-5478 and ask to speak with the School Social Worker.
Thank you for partnering with us!
School Social Worker
Make a commitment to Attend. Engage. Achieve!
From Nurse Shannon
Solar Eclipse Safety
Indiana will be in the path of totality for the solar eclipse on April 8! Did you know you and your children need special glasses to view this incredible event? Without safety glasses, your vision can be permanently damaged. There were many counterfeit glasses on Amazon during the last eclipse. Please see the following list from the AAS for safe glasses to purchase. Suppliers of Safe Solar Filters & Viewers | Solar Eclipse Across America (aas.org)
Shannon Gardner RN, BSN
Crooked Creek Elementary School
2150 Kessler Blvd W. Drive | Indianapolis, IN 46228
T: 317-259-5478 ext 12106
IREAD 3 update for Grade 2 students
IREAD-3 is an online, timed, multiple-choice assessment measuring foundational reading skills, including phonics, vocabulary and comprehension. All third grade students are required to take the test each March. The Department of Education is also allowing school districts to include second graders in this testing, and all MSDWT second graders will be participating this school year. This opportunity will allow us to better identify students who may benefit from additional reading support. Third graders who do not pass the IREAD-3 assessment are required to attend summer school and participate in a re-assessment. Second graders WILL NOT be required to participate in summer school, but their school will provide additional reading instruction. Second graders who pass the IREAD-3 assessment will be exempt from the test when they are in third grade. More details about the testing timeline will be shared closer to the opening of the testing window.
Butler Women's Basketball! Let's support our former CC student!!!
2023-24 Indiana Pacers School Fundraiser Program
Calling all students, parents, teachers, and school staff members! The Indiana Pacers are excited to help raise money for our school! As part of the Indiana Pacers School Fundraising program, you will be able to provide discounted tickets for our School Night with the Pacers (as well as other select games) to family, neighbors, co-workers, and anyone else you can think of! The best part is that a portion of every ticket purchased goes directly back to our school.
Students – the more tickets you sell, the more Pacers prizes you will accumulate! You could take home some or ALL of the amazing prizes below. Scan the QR code or go to PACERS.COM/PELICANS to check them out!
· One (1) Ticket - Indiana Pacers Sticker Sheet
· Four (4) Tickets - Three (3) Pacers Shoe Charms
· Ten (10) Tickets - Two (2) FREE TICKETS to your school night
· Twenty (20) Tickets – Pacers Squishmallow of Boomer
· Thirty (30) Tickets - Autographed Basketball signed by the entire Pacers team
· Forty (40) Tickets - Personalized Pacers Jersey
On our SCHOOL NIGHT with the Pacers, we'll have a special presentation at halftime! Ticket prices start at just $12. This year, our SCHOOL NIGHT is Wednesday, February 28, 2024 as the Pacers take on the New Orleans Pelicans at 7:00 PM . If you or your friends can't make it to our School Night, we have three (3) alternate games available to choose from.
To make sure your child and our school receive credit, tickets must be ordered online using the link PACERS.COM/PELICANS or by scanning the QR code on this letter. At checkout, you will be prompted to fill in our school along with your child's name. The deadline for ticket orders to be placed is January 25th , 2024. Inventory is limited and is based on availability.
If you have any questions about this fundraiser, you may contact the Indiana Pacers Group Sales Department at (317) 917-2827 (OPTION 2). You can also visit PACERS.COM/PELICANS for a list of Frequently Asked Questions or how to purchase tickets online.
Thanks for participating and GO PACERS!
Great North Run-March 9, 2024
- Crooked Creek’s 2023 participation total was 120, so your 2024 goal is 132 participants!
- Mr. Pattee will be sending out information about running club soon!
- Let's beat our record from last year so we can start the race off like last year!!!