Tips, Tricks, and Thoughts on Transformation
Improving our Practice: the journey and destination
Bel Pesce, Brazilian entrepreneur and writer, gave a TED talk (https://goo.gl/tNmBEC) that highlights five pitfalls to reaching your dreams. She also shares the flip side (thankfully!) of tips to reach your dreams. One of her five points is to enjoy the journey--both the ups and downs. She states, "If every step becomes something to learn or something to celebrate, you will for sure enjoy the journey."
While New Year's resolutions tend to have a fairly low success rate, we have plenty of research on setting goals and achieving them. Some of the main factors reaching a desired outcome include:
- Understanding our current reality (honest assessment)
- Knowing what we want (setting a clear goal)
- Allowing ourselves to take risks and learn from mistakes (growth mindset)
- Celebrating successes (honoring our accomplishments)
- Reflective practice (taking time to focus on what we have done and learned)
Note that three of those five points are all about the journey. January and February can be some of the most difficult months of the school year, but we have much to gain from these months and much to offer. This is a perfect time to focus on a passion or dream. Pull out the idea that you've been waiting to try. Set a goal that inspires you and go for it...and enjoy the journey!
Sign up for a Monday morning coffee delivery to start next week off right.