Carver Middle School Newsletter
April 18, 2021
Greetings Carver Cougars!
Thank you very much for your incredible support last week! We had a tremendous outpouring of support during our Panda Express fundraiser Friday. It was great to see the families who attended our Movie in the Park night at the Chester YMCA, Saturday. This week is another busy week in Cougar land with our Monthly PTA meeting tomorrow at 6:15. Hopefully you all are able to make it. Following our PTA meeting, I will host a brief SOL Q & A session regarding Spring SOL testing.
We will also kickoff our Spring Fundraiser Tuesday, 4/20/2021. Please be on the lookout for information from your student as well as call and emails from our office.
Thank you to those of you who already communicated your SOL plans by submitting the survey. If you haven't done so please read our SOL Information Letter to Parents and complete the SOL Survey Link to communicate your plans for SOL testing this Spring. This is very important to help us to prepare for Spring SOL testing.
Thanks and have a great week!
Anthony J. McLaurin, Ed.D.
G.W. Carver MS
Carver MS Monthly PTA Meeting
Monday, April 19th, 6:15pm
This is an online event.
Anthony McLaurin is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Carver MS PTA Zoom Meeting
Time: Apr 19, 2021 06:15 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 910 2000 6682
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
- April 19- Zoom PTA Meeting (6:15 pm)
- April 19- Boys' Soccer @ Tomahawk Creek MS (3 pm)
- April 20- Spring Fundraiser Kickoff
- April 20- Girls' Soccer @ Tomahawk Creek MS (3 pm)
- April 21- Reading MAP Test
- April 21- Boys' Soccer vs. Manchester MS @ Carver MS (3 pm)
- April 22- Girls' Soccer & Girls' Basketball vs. Manchester MS @ Carver MS (3 pm)
2021 CCPS Fine Arts Festival!
When you see the work that our students have done in a virtual world, you will see creativity, passion, hope, and communication.
We want to say thank you to all of our artists, performers, and teachers for coming together as a united team to bring light and joy into our lives. We know this was a different way to share the arts, but we hope this positive representation will help to reinforce the importance of the arts in our community whether we are live or virtual.
CCPS Online will be opening registration for the 2021-22 school year on February 1 and will take registrations until July 9, 2021. Additional information and the link to register can be found on the CCPS Online website. Students may register for a full course load if they would like to remain virtual for the 2021-22 school year or they may take supplemental classes while taking a full course load at their home school (fees are required for this option).
For the 2021-22 regular school year, any resident student seeking one additional course through CCPS Online will be granted a full fee waiver upon request. This is a change. Registration for summer courses is underway. Registration for summer Health/PE 9 will close on May 19. Registration for all other classes this summer will close on June 23.
Carver MS counselors are happy to answer all questions related to CCPS Online options.
Carver MS Free Little Pantry
Carver MS Free Little Pantry!
Please use the Carver MS Amazon Smile Link to provide direct donations to our community!
Thanks Carver Cougars!
Return to Learning Updates
Buses and car riders will begin arriving at the school building at 7:10 AM. The plan is to begin allowing students into the school building at this time (7:10 AM). A member of the team will be outside at both locations to make sure everyone knows when it is time to begin entering the building.
In order to dismiss in a safe and socially distanced manner, we will have three waves (Wave 1 (1:55) – Car Riders whose last name starts with the letters A-K, Wave 2 (2:00 PM) – Car Riders whose last name starts with the letters L-Z, and all of our students riding the school bus (2:05 PM).
Families who are picking students up – please do me the favor of being in the parent pick up loop at the appropriate time. I would ask that parents/families who are picking up in Wave 1 to begin arriving at 1:45 PM. Parents/families who are picking up students in Wave 2, please do not arrive at the school building until 1:55 PM. We will do our very best to make this a smooth process for everyone, but we know it will be a learning curve. We ask for your patience as we work to get the process more efficient during this first week.
3. Safety and Social Distancing
- We will not use lockers
- Students will be socially distanced in the hallways
- Students will be socially distanced when waiting on a bus or a car ride in the afternoon
- Masks are required at all times
- Shields are required when students are within 6 feet of one another in classrooms
- The daily health assessment – it is important that students do not come to school if they are not feeling well.
Yearbook Updates from Mrs. Boyd!
Follow us on our New Official Pages for upcoming news and highlights!
IG - @gwcarver.middle
Twitter - @gwcarvermiddle
Please us the following to upload your own pictures to the yearbook:
Link to upload photos:
If you are prompted to enter a User ID, your user ID is 415793944
Or you may send photos to: email@example.com
This year has been exceptionally different for each and every one of us. Let’s end this year strong and make an extra effort to build our community and promote KINDNESS! Please take photos or send a written blurb to Michelle Boyd of our Carver students showing KINDNESS for an opportunity to be featured in our 20/21 Cougar Yearbook. Please be sure to include your student’s name and grade!
If you are posting on your own social media please tags us and use the following hashtags:
IG - @gwcarver.middle
Twitter - @gwcarvermiddle
Carver MS School Counseling Assignments 2020-2021
Flex Block Update
Fridays (Office Hours)- Teacher will communicate with students to set up meets for assignments, check-ins, re-teaching and/or make up work. If your student does not have meetings scheduled, they may utilize this time to work on assignments independently.
Wells Athletic Association
Curbside Library Pickup
Pledge of Allegiance Google Meet Link!
Please be sure to share the new Google Meet link below with your Cougar to join us for the Pledge of Allegiance live link daily at 7:35 am!
Join the Carver MS Anime Club!
Share the Love with the Carver Staff!
Carver Attendance Line
Support and Self- Care During COVID-19
COVID-19 Support from the Viriginia Department of health: https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/chesterfield/.
Please take a look at the COVID-19 Resources link. As we are all dealing with difficult times children and adults both may benefit from ideas and resources to help us to cope positively with our present reality.
Message from our School Nurse Mrs. Geisz
Here are a few reminders from the school clinic, even though we are starting school virtual all of the following are still required for this school year:
1. Proof of immunization: For a complete list of all required immunizations please see the Virginia Department of health link https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/immunization/requirements/ There are 2 Middle School specific requirements. Note :Effective July 1, 2019, a booster dose of Tdap vaccine is required for all children entering the 7th grade. Also note: Effective October 1, 2008, a complete series of 3 doses of HPV vaccine is required. The first dose shall be administered before the child enters the 6th grade, however with HPV, after reviewing educational materials approved by the Board of Health, the parent or guardian, at the parent’s or guardian’s sole discretion, may elect for the child not to receive the HPV vaccine.
2. Immunization records can be faxed to 804.520.4794 to the School Nurse.
3. Update Individual Health service plan: If your child lives with any of the following:
- Life-threatening allergies
- Or any other health concern that requires medication or specific health related procedures while in school please make sure that we have an updated health service plan and/or medication administrations forms. Required forms can be found here https://mychesterfieldschools.com/family-and-community-engagement/preparing-for-school/student-health-and-safety/
4. Please keep in mind due to COVID 19 the use of nebulizers will not be allowed this school year, so please make sure to discuss plans for treatment with your physician if your child has asthma.
I am looking forward to supporting your child to be safe, healthy and ready to learn at Carver Middle School! If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 804.524.3620 ext.143.
Use the PTA website at: https://carverpta.ptboard.com/ to sign up.
1. Log in or create an account.
2. On the "Join School" pop up screen enter code: 9XKCHR.
3. Sign up to assist with events, purchase spirit wear, raise funds and assist the PTA in supporting our students!